ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing ph1 rear bumper with ph2 bumper?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey all,

I'm halfway through changing from the mk2 ph1 rear bumper with one from a ph2 model and I'm having problems.

Of the 14 or so screws and bolts that I've taken out to remove the old bumper only 2 will go back without modification. Now I thought quite a few people have done this swap before and I've never heard of anyone having any problems? Does it depend on the model that the ph2 bumper comes from?

- 4 screws across the top of ph1 bumper - none fit the ph2 bumper (only two holes on the ph2 bumper anyway and they don't line up)
- 3 bolts either side underneath the bumper - only 1 per side fits
- 2 screws for each arch lining - neither fit (not suprising really)

How has anyone got round this problem? Self tappers?

Cheers,
Ian

Storm Grey 200
I think i remember reading when i was going to do the ph2 swap, that you had to improvise with some self tappers to get it to secure very well.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sport bumper or just a normal dynamique bumper?

Not sure if it's a Dynamique, but it's definitely a non-RS bumper.

I think i remember reading when i was going to do the ph2 swap, that you had to improvise with some self tappers to get it to secure very well.

A right, figured I might have to. Do they attach to the white plastic impact absorber things? Also, did you fit ph2 arch liners?

edit: sorry just seen that you didn't actually do it. Did anyone else?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Right well this is how it's looking at the moment:

3434952122_fdc6cb0a97.jpg

It's still only held on by two bolts, but I think I'm going to get some washers to go with the self tappers. Also, probably going to fabricate some plates for below the lip of the boot. The idea with that one is to attach the bumper to the plate and then the plate to the car.That way I don't have to drill any holes in the bumper, which wouldn't look very neat I don't think.

That just leaves the arch liners, which I'll probably get from Renault if no-one has any spare. Looks like the alloys have been rubbing through the current ones though, so might leave them off until I get some spacers.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Have you done the 2 up inside the arch? they should line up fine. The main 4 you need to worry about are the 2 up in the arch and the 2 under the boot lid, once those are on its secure.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Give me a min, will get some photos now. Only the one furthest in to the arch lines up, the other doesn't. However it is below one of the white impact blocks so will probably tap through into that. None of the ones below the boot line up, did you just drill through the bumper Chris?

Evo 6, E92 320d
Nope, no need, same with my rs bumper, all the mounting points should be the same unless renault changed a few.

Ian

Focus TDCi
#1 - Red circle shows fitted bolt, white circles shows misaligned bolts
IMG_3182.gif

#2 - Fitted Bolt (view looking up and slightly back into NSR arch)
IMG_3188.gif

#3 - Misaligned Bolt (Further round than first bolt, still NSR side)
IMG_3189.gif

#4 - Second Misaligned Bolt (Couldn't get a photo of same side so this the OSR side, same both sides though)
IMG_3190.gif

#5 - Boot Holes (From Left: )
- first circle shows ph1 thread, no hole in ph2 bumper for screw,
- second shows ph2 hole, no thread in ph1 car,
- third shows ph1 hole for plastic prong, ph2 prong still fits,
- fourth shows ph1 thread, no hole in ph2 bumper for screw
IMG_3193.gif

Ian

Focus TDCi
Just to update this thread for future reference. I've been in contact with Renault (Altrincham) and also with Joshydee from www.cliospares.com regarding arch liners:

- Renault: £22.47 each, collected
- Cliospares: £28.95 for both, delivered

For some reason I've just agreed to buy them from Renault, think I must be mad.