ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rise of the Triad

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seriously guys - save your money from this donkey's wang of an FPS.

It's cheap - £11.99 on Steam, but honestly, it's not even worth that. I purchased this really on the whim of nostalgia, having some good memories of the completely chaotic and insane original game that Apogee released all those years ago. But this is turd. And a steaming one at that.

So what's wrong with it?
  • Unbelievably stupid, dumb, borderline non-existent AI ability. Unless the enemies are within melee distance, the vast majority just stand still, waiting to be shot. A perfect example of this is shown below where they just stand there and don't even fire back.
  • When the AI does fire back, I cannot recall another FPS game that gives them such aimbot ability. It's embarrassingly bad. Walk down a corridor to a junction and stop. Bits of dust and debris are being shot off the corner wall from an as yet, unseen enemy - who somehow knows exactly where you are. The problem is amplified when in open spaces and several of the enemies are dotted about. You're getting hit with stupidly accurate and predictive fire.
  • Sudden enemy spawning. Clear out a one-entrance room, turn to walk out and sometimes, you get shot in the back. Sorry - didn't I just get rid of everyone in that room?
  • The initial troops all look like Nazis from WW2, but have the same repetitive, monotonous American accent. :S
  • Infinite ammo weapons - pistols and the MP40-looking SMG can be reloaded and then reloaded again, even if the magazine is full. This makes it silly in not knowing how many rounds you have until you need to reload (which it doesn't do automatically when you fire the clips' last round). Frustrating as well as annoying.
  • No save option - just prefixed checkpoints. I don't mind having to restart a bit that I'm stuck on - but marred by the limitations above - it just makes a checkpoint restart a grind.

"Shoot us - go on - we won't fire back, honest......" Why do you have your weapons drawn then??

2013-08-07_00001_zpsaf622a6a.jpg

Avoid.... Buy one of the later Serious Sam games if you just want OTT FPS action.

D.

Last edited:
Spent many, many hours on the original as a kid. Shrooms mode + drunk missile <3

I watched a few videos of the remake whilst it was in production and thought it looked like it might be fun (but completely ridiculous), shame if it's as bad as you say it is.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Spent many, many hours on the original as a kid. Shrooms mode + drunk missile <3

I watched a few videos of the remake whilst it was in production and thought it looked like it might be fun (but completely ridiculous), shame if it's as bad as you say it is.

Might be worth nabbing the demo m8, if one gets released. But it is really that bad. I might stick at it for the completionist side of me - but I doubt it.

​D.