ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung NP-NC10 - First Impressions

Better than yours. C*nt.
Well, absolutely astounded by it! It's an impressive spec for the money (£250+VAT):

Intel Atom N270 (1.6GHz)
Intel 945 chipset (needs replacing, but hey - still works)
160GB Hard Drive (Regular 2.5" SATA)
1x DDR2 DIMM (1GB Standard)
Bluetooth
Atheros WiFi
10.2" 1024x600 Widescreen

So far this morning I've had it in bits to inspect - Bluetooth appears to be a USB module, there's space for what I assume to be a POST decoder for Samsung's tech staff, and by the looks of it they're planning on releasing a HSDPA-enabled version, as the unsoldered headers are there for the Mini ExpressCard and the SIM socket under the battery, a la Dell XPS.

Build quality is impressive, with the keyboard feeling much bigger than you'd expect from the size of the laptop. Common failing has got it though, the touchpad is a bit small and you need to get used to it. Bundled software is a little OTT, but nonetheless works and without getting in the way too much, and performance is staggering for such a 'low-end' system.

The wireless Atheros module can't be swapped for an Intel job - it doesn't recognise the card I've got as even being installed, so I've swapped it back. Upgraded to a 2GB DDR2 DIMM (667, but the chipset only runs 533) and rebuilt using Windows XP Professional and I've installed all the drivers.

Yesterday, out of the box, battery life was 8.5 hours with the other half typing on it for half of that, the rest of it was on the musical screensaver which will take you minutes to get fed up of!

All in all, very impressive package - even if it's little 'sock' it's supplied with feels a bit poor when you're used to Sony's TZ's pouches. Well worth your moneys if you want a little, uncomplicated laptop. So much so, that I stumped up the money to keep this one! :)

nc10image1.jpg

b175293.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
looks mint mate is it worth speding the extra and getting a full laptop
not samsung obv?

Clio 172 Mk2
i got one last week, i absolutely love it!! Portability and build quality is amazing, added to the battery life and performance it's definately the best netbook on the market!!

Better than yours. C*nt.
looks mint mate is it worth speding the extra and getting a full laptop
not samsung obv?

Very much depends what you want to do with it. If all you do is browse the internet, listen to iTunes, go on Messenger and do your emails then this is definately much more sensible than a £500/600 laptop of similar quality with improved specifications.

As for the comment on Samsung laptops - I've not seen any of their recent ones. If the rest of their lineup is built similarly to this then I'd have no issues with getting one!

Better than yours. C*nt.
This one's not got the fittings for it, however when they do release the HSDPA-enabled version (not sure on release date for that though!) there are the solder heads for both the Mini ExpressCard and the SIM reader under the battery.

So far this morning I've had it in bits to inspect - Bluetooth appears to be a USB module, there's space for what I assume to be a POST decoder for Samsung's tech staff, and by the looks of it they're planning on releasing a HSDPA-enabled version, as the unsoldered headers are there for the Mini ExpressCard and the SIM socket under the battery, a la Dell XPS.

From my first post.

SLK 350
Still pleased with the Asus 901's we got for testing at work, ideal for running around port testing and presentations.

I do like the look of the HP though...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Still pleased with the Asus 901's we got for testing at work, ideal for running around port testing and presentations.

I do like the look of the HP though...

Don't get me wrong, the Asus is very good value, but in terms of 'feel' I think the Samsung wins. Plus the space for HSDPA if they get round to it will be a winner - I'll be buying a new one when they do!

It's a feature the current generation of Netbooks are missing, and it's not too hard to do. But the ultraportable is the way forward - I think from a support tool point of view it's astonishing, and given that within our department we're moving our datacards onto mobile devices with data (Sony Xperia being the tool of choice) we don't actually need the built in.

The 9 hour battery life, and incredible size, make it an impressive piece of kit.

SLK 350
Aye the 901 feels like it should have VTECH written on it, however they do some more business orientated models I think. It too has a quoted 8.5hr life, bargain for the £150 we pay for them.