ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

scraping noise

Vantage
was driving to a mechanic yesterday about a problem i have when im coming to a stop "steering wheel rattles!!"

..i then started hearing a ticking and scraping noise and the steering wheel started rattling even more when coming to a stop ...also when i hit the breaks i could feel and hear a even louder scraping noise...

i got out to check what it was..
i seen this :(

DSC03806.jpg

^ sorry about the mobile picture quality..

the disc has 3 grooved scratches in it..

is this part of the warped disc problem or is it a new problem?
and roughly how much should i be spending to fix this!?

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
looks like you need a set of new discs and pads, easy enough to replace yourself.

Vantage
looks like you need a set of new discs and pads, easy enough to replace yourself.

would it make that kind of noise?!

i mean my discs and pads needed replacing before on my old car, and the car wasn't making this kind of noise

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
this is normal mate, the pads have worn so low there was now lining left on the pad

Clio Extreme 3
it would most likely wear like that if you have been driving it with the brakes metal to metal (brake pad friction material worn down to the metal underneath it) which would also give you the scraping noise + poor brake performance

get them changed!

Clio Extreme 3
oh, and if your disk is warped (likely to have been caused by the metal of the brake pads against the disk - making the disk overheat and warp) the steering wheel rattle should go away with fresh disks, because then the warped disk wont be "pulsing" inside the caliper making it vibrate like hell!

Vantage
took it to a mechanic today.. he was changing my front disks and pads until he noticed the driver side brake hub was bent.. so i need to get a brake hub! :(

anyone know anywhere i could get used one for cheap!?