ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shall I just trash the standard stuff and then upgrade!!!!

Clio 172, M3 E46
Hi all am sure you have heard this a million times, but I am just after some been there done that advice ;) I have just purchased a 03 plate 172 with 98k on the clock, with the intention of having some track day fun, the car went straight through its mot today and does not suffer any vibration under heavy B road breaking so I guess disks and pads are all good, the car apart from a stainless back box is completely standard.
I am getting the belts done this month as the service book says last done in 2008 @ 52k and that will be my toy allowance spent for the month (have to keep mrs's happy and the M3 in fuel lol)
Should I just dig out a crash helmet book a beginners track day and have a go and in doing so probably destroy the cars standard brakes/road tyres/suspension, then set about replacing/upgrading with more track suited items, or set the car up first to get more out of the track day experience.
Compared to the BM which has coil overs the Clio feels a bit light on its feet over 70mph,am tempted to spend but don't want to if a standard car will still provide an adequate track/daily driver?????

172 Turbo
Go for it, my first proper drive of my Clio was on a track without spending any money and I didn't die...

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all am sure you have heard this a million times, but I am just after some been there done that advice ;) I have just purchased a 03 plate 172 with 98k on the clock, with the intention of having some track day fun, the car went straight through its mot today and does not suffer any vibration under heavy B road breaking so I guess disks and pads are all good, the car apart from a stainless back box is completely standard.
I am getting the belts done this month as the service book says last done in 2008 @ 52k and that will be my toy allowance spent for the month (have to keep mrs's happy and the M3 in fuel lol)
Should I just dig out a crash helmet book a beginners track day and have a go and in doing so probably destroy the cars standard brakes/road tyres/suspension, then set about replacing/upgrading with more track suited items, or set the car up first to get more out of the track day experience.
Compared to the BM which has coil overs the Clio feels a bit light on its feet over 70mph,am tempted to spend but don't want to if a standard car will still provide an adequate track/daily driver?????

This times a million!

Clio 172, M3 E46
Id be tempted to upgrade brakes and fluid or your day could get cut short.. @G 172
Ok i thought as much the guy next door takes all sorts on track days and recommended yellow stuff pads on my standard disks for starters, what do you recommend?? Cheers.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Keep the std stuff for spares.. I have mintex 1144 which are a fast road pad and they're great on my megane. On my track car I've got carbon lorraines which are great. Depends how brave you want to be ;)

Clio 172, M3 E46
Keep the std stuff for spares.. I have mintex 1144 which are a fast road pad and they're great on my megane. On my track car I've got carbon lorraines which are great. Depends how brave you want to be ;)
Ok cheers I have sent a pm to g172 will see what he comes up with.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I would just upgrade the pads, brake lines and fluid (assuming discs are in good shape) and maybe look to get the suspension refreshed. And then take it on track and hammer it. It's a very capable car out of the box to be honest and can offer plenty of thrills and smiles for a relatively small outlay. :)

M2 Comp
No, you should spend £££ building a 'track car' and then break it for parts, having never gone anywhere near a track :)

In all seriousness, get it out on track and enjoy it (assuming it's in good mechanical order and safe to do so). Nothing wrong with them even in standard form, but if you do a track day and anything stands out as not quite right you can upgrade from there.