ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shooting the moon

Fiesta ST-3
Planning on shooting the moon shortly as it is a fasination of mine and somthing ive always wanted to shoot. Any tips from the pros? I know the basics like
  • use a tripod
  • long shutter speed
Anything else to get a good, detailed shot?

dk

911 GTS Cab
this was my recent attempt, found it quite difficult, but i was handheld, no tripod.

was using canon 50d with 70-200 f4L lens.

4467171737_285c925bec_b.png

1.8 Civic EX
you dont want a long shutter speed....it's too bright so will be a big white ball in the sky with no detail at all...plus it's constantly moving so will be a blur

one of mine, not the greatest effort by any means, shutter speed was 1/500 300mm f5.6 (it's been cropped a fait bit too)

4316588615_0d89343022_o.jpg

A red missile
A tripod is always a good idea unless you have IS lenses, even then it's still going to be better turning it off and using a tripod, I got this during the recent lunar eclipse, the clouds don't help much, and as said, long exposures are a no-no, you'll just get a bright blob, results get better the faster you get - up to a point obviously.
attachment.php

That was handheld at 400mm.

Oil Burner
300mm F4, ISO 400 1/320th Mounted on a Tripod with 3 sec delay on shutter. Use Live view to get the focus spot on.

724467703_xLQgx-L.jpg

1.6 Ford Focus
I found that the shorter the shutter the more detail, just obviously not too extreme or you can't see a thing. Here's mine, its far from brilliant but it was through double glazing so not bad.

Full_Moon_by_iansalter91.jpg

Shutter: 1/60
F/8.0
Focal Length: 60mm
ISO: 80

Planning on shooting the moon shortly as it is a fasination of mine and somthing ive always wanted to shoot. Any tips from the pros? I know the basics like
  • use a tripod
  • long shutter speed
Anything else to get a good, detailed shot?

don't use a long shutter speed. the moon moves so you'll actually have to use a fast shutter speed. if your camera has live view or is a compact then set it up on a tripod and then watch the moon move across the screen very quickly lol

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I shot the following at ISO 1000 Cant remember the shutter speed, but it wasn't slow!

The camera was on a tripod and fired using a remote. It was at 200mm at its highest resoloution then I cropped the image to get closer.

Finally I messed with shadow & highlight and sharpened it once.

2391633-1cd32abecb8fe8b3.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. I tried the other night but i'm having trouble with my lense (sensors).
Tried on manual focus with a high speed. Will try again with new lense... eventually!

182FF with cup packs
Here's one of my first attempts of the moon.

http://skywatching.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/moon.jpg
(couldn't embed, don't seem to be able to resize the inserted pic)

Taken using Cannon 450D with a Tamron 70-300mm @ f/5 and 1/25th second exposure.

Pretty good for a cloudy night.

My mate has himself a EQ5 autotracking mount for his telescope, so at some point I'm going to piggyback my camera on the mount and take some deepsky shots.