ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

smell of petrol in the car

clio mk2
hello,
im new to these forums so please excuse my newbishnesss.
i have a 1.2 clio grande y reg and i atill havent pinpointed the circumatances under which this occurs but i do get the car smelling strong of petrol (im 75% its not from an exhaust leack). i commute with it aprox 250 miles per week and for a 1.2l engine im not sure 46 litres of fuel seems reasonable, or im just driving it like an utter idiot xD. please do share thoughts if any, guidance on how to pinpoint a probable fuel leak or smth would be greatly appreciated too!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
You could have rotten fuel lines, the rubber joins could be shot, a clip loose, injector seal..

You really have to get under it and follow the system.. Start at the tank and make sure there aren't any leaks from connections.. If the filter and pump are external that check them, and just work your way to the engine..

Have a butchers and more importantly don't smoke or play with matches while looking...

if its the same as the 172's then the fuel pump is under the right rear seat. if the top seal is worn or perished then you might get some vapour leak into the cabin. the only way of knowing is to remove the right rear seat, pull up and forward, if I remember its only hooked in. the top cap is a b**ch to get off though. I ended up using a combo of large swan necks and light hammering with a flat bar/screwdriver. as above just check all the fuel lines that run under the car in parallel with the exhaust normally and yes no smoking!! good luck