ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SORN Advice

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I have just SORN'd my Clio, and I haven't done it before.
It is SORN'd until I tax it or sell it isn't it?
And I have paid of 6 months tax, about 4 months left on it, how will I get my refund? Is it a cheque int he post or is it a bank transfer/refund thing? I was paying the 6month Direct Debit as it was cheapest.

Now it's time to do some major upgrades on it ready for the summer!!!

172 Turbo
It is sorn for 12 months or ends if there is a change of keeper.

Refund is via a cheque in a weeks.

Make sure it actually on private land.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, the car is tucked away on my Dad's drive

So will I get a reminder in a year to SORN or tax it? But hopefully it will be back on the road in 6 months, I just didnt want to wast emoney on the tax when it is not on the road

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
:anguished: wuuuuuut??! If it gets to that stage then something has gone wrong with the work I am planning on doing as it should be on the road well before this time next year

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I thought they'd changed it recently so a SORN vehicle remains SORN, until it's insured again?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Car iasn't in Reading, it's near Gloucester at my parent's. Mainly so I can get help from my brother! All the jobs I want to do he has already done on his old track car so he knows what he is doing!

Actually have the confirmation e-mail now and it says this:
The SORN will be valid until you tax, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle
So that is until I tax it again isn't it?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I sorn'd my ph1 when i did the engine swap. Was no point keeping it taxed while it was off the road.

I kept my insurance running to keep my NCB. I got a return cheque in the post for the tax return. I just re-taxed it once it was all back togther.

Everything was done online and it was sorn'd fr 2 months.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I don't see the point of keeping it taxed when it is off the road not being used for a long period of time.
The insurance is going to lapse at the end of the month, need to look at insuring it as an "item" and not a vehicle on the road. I have a new policy on the new daily drive to keep my NCB, but when I come to put the Ph1 back on the road I am sure I am going to have hassle and issues insuring it!

Ph1 172 & Leon Cupra
Yep, just sorn mine last month whilst swapping engines got a full 5 months refund by cheque.
Its best to do it at the end of a month tho financially cuz the rob dogs only refund in full months

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed Matt. I did mine in the last day of the month. Car was off the road for 2 months and I only lost £40 as it was a month or 2 (can't remember which one!) after I renewed the tax when the engine went bang.

BMW 320d SE
You can get "laid-up" insurance for cars that are off the road but you still want protected against theft/damage.