ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sorry another new person!

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Hi i am new to the site and have been wading through past threads to try and find information but its taking too long so i thought it would be easier to just post this thread. I am looking to buy a 172 (im too poor to get a 182 :( ). Obviously the phase 1 will be cheaper but im concious that it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the phase 2. However from the stats the ph-2 is actually quite a bit lighter then ph-2 due to an alluminium bonnet so is supposed to be quicker.
Any ideas or opinions on which to get? Is there actually any difference apart from the looks?

Cheers

Ad

MK2 FRS
welcome.......

Imho there isnt much difference. I would be happy to have either. I certainly would choose a good example of a ph1 over a ph2 in poor condition.

1 Series Coupe
Welcome to clio sport... i agree with adtmits 100%..
You will enjoy it whatever you get!

106 GTi
Welcome and enjoy.

As above I would find the best condition car you can for your budget.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Thanks for your opinions. I would have to agree that it would be better to get a decent earlier one than a bad older.
Are there any differences at all in toys or spec apart from the body? I know the interior colours are different is there anything else?

106 GTi
Later cars got cruise control, climate control, cup suspension options, sat nav options, xenon headlights.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Looks like im set for a decent ph-1 in black then. My mate has a 172 ph-2, i was very suprised at the performance to be honest. He raced another friend of mine in an R32 Golf off the lights and the Golf only got the better of him above 80mph. Also think that even though everyone seems to think the driving position is uncomfortable i found the seats supportive and nice to be in.

Octavia VRS
Welcome mate, as what the guys have said above - get the best condition RS you can be it a ph1 or ph2

tiTTy & SV650
get a phase 1, add a phase 2 rear bumper and rear lights and colour code the plastics. then stick turinis on it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome only thing i dont like about the PH1 is the dashboard, although i do like the white dials. the seats are nicer because the RenaultSport logo has colour in it instead of just grey like the Ph2 cars.

first mod is defo PH2 back lights though and they look good colourcoded and as rory said they suit a ph2 rear bumper too!

ph1's are said to be quicker with the aluminium bonnet, lighter, smaller 15" wheels etc ohh plus the cable throttle that the ph1 172 has is ment to be a lot more responsive

Only some Mk1's have ali bonnets.
They are the best realy IMo drive by cabwl throtlte for instant reponse and lots of camber.

Martin_89 said:
how do you know if it has an ali bonnet can you just tell by opening it because it feels light?
Yep lift one which is and one which isn't and you can instantly tell.

Jon is right phase 1 wiring is so much better no silly big computers. IF I do a transplant it will be a phase 1 into phase 2 sheel as I prefere phase 2 looks plus the phase 2 has the small strenghting on the shell.

Leon Cupra R 225
welcome to cs! just find a gooden within your budget dont impulse buy either because its "fast" etc. give it a thorough check over on whatever you buy

Mini Cooper S sport
Hello and welcome, hope you manage to find what you're looking for. Go and see/drive a few examples of both and you'll soon know which one you prefer! I prefer Mk 2 looks, but all the people on here with Mk 1s absolutely love them, and I doubt they'd swap.