ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound Deadening

Hi, Im after some help.

Im in the process of doing my boot build and fitting some nice new speakers. While Im there I wanted to sound deaden the doors, side panels, and the boot, does anyone have any opinions on what is the best value for money, yet still does the job...

Im getting quite abit of rattling mainly from the boot door, and was advised that Sound deadening would help, plus i need to do the doors, but have been told a 12 inch square behing the speaker does the job well enough, so there is no need to do the whole door.

With the boot Im only putting one sub in there at the mo, but am thinking of sticking two in there, was doing the sound deadening to help more when I put the second one in there...

Any suggestions on good stuff, and where to get it??? How much do you reckon Ill need???

I used Marley flashing tape from B& Q, £10 for a 10metre long 15 cm wide roll, enough to do a boot floor and sides or two full doors.

Really impressed with it

Do you need a heat gun to apply that stuff, or has it got an adhesive backing? I think Ill go get a roll and see how far that gets me, but from the sounds of it Ill need 2 rolls...

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Ive used some High Band flashing tape in mine. Similar sort of thing to Hugo by the sounds of it. It basically has a self adhesive backing on it thats very sticky so you shouldnt need any heat to get it to stick. However, if your bending it around complex curves thern you might need to warm it up a bit. The roll I got was 10m by 30cm and cost around £25 I think which is a lot, lot cheaper per sq metre than Dynamat.

Rick

Sounds the same stuff, loads of people i know have used it. It is very sticky on one side but as said if going on loads of curves use a hair dryer to warm it up

did u know that the maclaren used DYNAMAT in all their roadgoing F1s?

also if u dynamat your car it has been tested to give a gain of up to 3-4 DB thats twice as loud as before, just for adding sound deadening,

i alttle patch behind the speaker will stop vibration but not as much as doing the whole door, its well worth it to get better bass and keep bass inside the car

Tom

Sounds like its worth doing the doors as well then, I think Ill buy two rolls then, and see how far I can get with that.

What is the difference between Dynamat and Flashing tape, Ive been told there isnt alot, just the price...

you wouild not belive the chemaical properties that are different in dyanmat than other "asphalt" soundeadening,

buy a door kit or a trunk liner kit best value for money

Tom

So Tom, am I right in thinking you dont see eye to eye with Mr Evil ICE...

Ive been reading through the forum, and you seem to contrdict Evil ICE on most occasions... :) Not that you are on this occasion as he hasnt said anything but...

Anyway, how much would you expect to pay for one of those kits then? Wheres the best place to get them from, I wanna do the sound deadening properly, but not too expensively, as Id prefer not to have to do it again if I decide to change my boot build or anything...

By the way Im gonna run Kenwood KFC-PSR51P as my component speakers in the front, any suggestions on the rear speakers???

Tom and me get on alright...as far as i know anyway. We are supposed to be having an SQ soundoff competition at some point so there is a bit of healthy rivalry on that side of things but thats about all.

With regards to sound deadening, Dynamat..especially the xtreme version is seriously good stuff but costs loads. I dont think much to the spray that they sell but everything else is ok. As you say though it is expensive. A lot of people (including ourselves) now use flashing tape for installs. You can build up the layers with say 2 layers on the whole door and then 3 or 4 layers behind the speakers.It will help a lot.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

I think Ill try the Flashing tape on the door, but by the sounds of it its gonna be best to use some more hevay duty stuff for the boot, how much does the Dynamat retail at???

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I agree, EVIL. If you build up the layers its very effective. Its not going to be as good as Dynamat IMO(especially the extreme which is heavy duty but worth it if your going for a no expense spared install) but you save so much, you can afford to put on four layers everywhere and it will still work out cheaper.

Rick

the boot kit covers 20sq feet if i remember correctly comes with 3 sheets of orignal and 2 of extreme?

anyway it will do a boot hence its name "trunk kit"

and me and russ get on well, were competition lol, anyway if u look at our posts the onlything wich contradict each other is our views on products our responses are the same just not product wise, (correct me if im wrong russ)

any how i will be using Extreme dynamat in my car as its very good, also flash tape for awkward parts, vibration is a b**ch and can affect SQ plenty, plus who else is going to say no to a 3DB increase just for sounddeadening?

Tom

Sounds like its worth trying the trunk kit out then...

Ill give that a go, and see how good a job it does, hey in the words of Dr Pepper "Whats the Worse that could happen" :)

not copying lol just emphasising the fact that a £650,000 car has dynamat in, all beit it was only orignalk, i was chatting to gordon dutch (head of BBG UK) about the contract,

Tom

Skoda Fabia vRS

get the brown bread from maplins !.....its good stuff and costs a lot less than dynamat

If you want a good way of stopping the rattling then take the rear wiper and all of the components thats are in the boot door out, delock the boot, use a boot relaese from a rover, then there will be nothing in there to rattle. Problem sorted. Ive done it one my RT and it works a treat. No rattling with a 12 and a 15 in the boot!

I need to do something like that on my boot as theres no catch or anything at the moment so it just hangs there. I have a Rover 420 too so i could nick the boot release out of it. Is it difficult to do?