ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speedo problem

clio sport 172
Hi All

i have 2002 clio sport 172 and the speedo does not work since i have bought it , i know there are 2 types of ways the speedo can pick up the speed either a sensor in the box or via the Abs

i have had a look and i dont see a sensor in the gearbox but i do have the wiring for the sensor ( possibly same loom as cars that use the Abs for the speed )

i have tried to plug the car in and see if i get a reading from the computer but nothing comes up i also tried to get values from the abs Sensors but they were very random values

so what i need to know is should my car run off the ABS or the Vehicle speed sensor that i dont have , this then presents another problem is the gearbox correct and is there a way to convert it to run off the abs rather than a new gearbox

Many Thanks

dan's cast offs.
runs off the box. afik only the late 172's can run off abs due to wiring differences. have a look into the back of the box just above the diff where the sensor should be, could just be that it's missing or could of had a later box fitted.

clio sport 172
i have had a look the wiring is there but there seems to be a space where the sensor should be but when i look through it looks like it doesnt go all the way in to the box if im honest

clio sport 172
Here is the pic

Attachments

• DSC_0296.JPG
    DSC_0296.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 43
  dan's cast offs.
later box in it. don't hold me to it but don't think you can run speedo off abs ecu?

you got cruise control/tc? am guessing not.

clio sport 172
im still struggling with this if its hooked up to clip will somebody be able to tell if it should have the sensor or if its getting a reading from the abs

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have a 2002 172 and mine is definitely not abs. Look down the back of the engine, and you should be able to see the sensor.

clio sport 172
There is defo no sensor at the back of the box and looks lime it may be blanked off as I can't see in to the box from above I bought the car from my mate who drove it home and parked it up for 2 years and doesn't recall if the speedo worked or not the car does have history but no mention of a replacement box at any point and it's on 108000 miles