ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sport photography

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
We got any experts on here?

Being made to watch the girlfriend play hockey tomorrow (field hockey)

Any one snapped hockey/football/rugby before ?

Any advice, best way to get results? im guessing it can not be to difficult :eek: guessing Lowish Fstop + fast shutter.

My problem is though im sort of short on lenses after breaking one :dapprove:

So hopefully will get something with the 50mm, the 70-300mm, and the 10-20mm.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i expect this thread will be updated in due course with some fit female hockey players?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i'm no photographer, but im guessing the biggest lense you can carry! close up hoof shots ftw!

something along these lines?

big-lens.jpg

Oil Burner
Use the 300mm,

Use a shutter speed around 1/400 1/500th (depending on how much action you want and how dark it is)

Adjust the iso accordingly.

Portrait tends to look best for sports.

AI Servo, using only the centre AF Point

Cant think of anything else.

Ian

Focus TDCi
For tennis a few weekends back I sacrificed ISO for shutter speed. Got a lot of shots that I liked at 1/1000th+/ISO 400-800 compared to those that I took at 1/400th/ISO 200. This was in cloudy/sunny outbreaks. Either that or try a few panning shots at around 125th, got a few I liked at that speed too (not gonna get everything in focus thoguh, so be careful where you choose to focus). It depends what you want really, the shots below don't show movement, whereas at a slower shooter speed they would.

Manual, 1/1250th, f/4, ISO 400, 200mm(x1.6)
_MG_5466.jpg

Manual, 1/4000th, f/4, ISO 800, 200mm(x1.6)
_MG_5515.jpg

Also, as Nick says above really, although I had some keepers with non-centered AF points as well as centred.

Steal these photos at your peril. :rolleyes:

Oil Burner
Also, as Nick says above really, although I had some keepers with non-centered AF points as well as centred.

Steal these photos at your peril. :rolleyes:

Main reason i say centre is that your AF will be much more accurate in poor light with the centre. Im guessing light will be poor for the OP

Nice photos Ian

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Bit of bad news, the team my girlfriend is playing for isnt the team she normally plays for. and she said this team isnt a good looking team :< fingers crossed the other side is a good looking side :D

A silver Honda
^^Oh :dapprove:

Nice pics Ian. Love how you can see the fluff on the tennis ball on the last one, great clarity:cool:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Main reason i say centre is that your AF will be much more accurate in poor light with the centre. Im guessing light will be poor for the OP

Nice photos Ian

Ta Nick. Yeah you're right, if you want keepers then centre AF is definitely something I'd go with. I just used other points sometimes to be a bit more creative with the composition. I guess if you use them though, you have to accept that you might not get the shot you want.

^^Oh :dapprove:

Nice pics Ian. Love how you can see the fluff on the tennis ball on the last one, great clarity:cool:

Cheers - too much clarity looking back at them lol, got a bit carried away. Don't think these have any sharpening applied either, so look a tad soft. Hopefully given Adrian some ideas anyway. :)

Mk2 ph1 clio
Depending on the lighting, the 300mm should be fine, if the lightings poor you may need to use the 50mm (im assuming its f1.8!) and do the best you can with it.

I take photos for a local womens netball league and some of their indoor matches are shocking for lighting!! Even at f1.8 ISO 1600 i get shutter speeds as low as 1/100!