ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spray job question.....

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Monring all,

Just been thinking to myself if it would be possible to spray my whole car by myself, panel by panel. I mean what sort of results could I expect, would it look like a s**t job or with some time and care would it look ok?

Has anyone tried this themselfs? Or done any spray work to there own car and got any advice for me?

Thanks,

James

It'll more than likely end up a right abortion. You planning on using Rattle cans or a compressor and gun? do you have somewhere clean dry and warm to do it? Do you have any idea about prepwork? does it need any filling, rust sorting, dents taken out?

I think the more you actually think about it the more you'll realise it's a bad idea.

A full respray takes a lot of time. You have to strip the car down by removing all doors, handles, tailgate, glass etc to do it properly.

It will need rubbing down, imperfections fixed etc. Then painted in a proper dust free paint boothe, using correct technique. Its very hard as its so easy to under/over spray a panel and get patchyness, runs etc. Followed by lacquer. You then need to bake it in a dolby oven to dry the paint.

So yeah its very hard and if done incorrectly can look terrible. Ive only touched on the number of steps needed to do it properly, so just get it done by a pro.

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
^^ Well thats what I was looking for. I mean I am considering, I would just jump into it without thinking about all the angles, lol.

Theres 2 small patches of rust, and a few small dents which I would attempt to remove, or get the bodywork garage near me to remove.

I think the worse bit is the clean dry and warm place, hard to find at this time of year around my house lol. Maybe in the summer would be a better idea. I would hire a compresseor and gun I think lol, screw doing all that with cans :)

And yea, getting it done by a pro sounds like a better idea now you mention it :). But it is very expensive am I correct?

If you want to save money then strip down the car and do the prep work, then take it to a spray shop and let them do the final bits of prep, and the final spray job, then put it back together yourself, will save on the labour costs and you are more likely to get a better finish at the end of it :D

If you want to save money then strip down the car and do the prep work, then take it to a spray shop and let them do the final bits of prep, and the final spray job, then put it back together yourself, will save on the labour costs and you are more likely to get a better finish at the end of it :D

Good idea for saving money but...........then youve got to transport all the bits to the shop. Youve also got to know what your doing with preperation etc.

In response the the qu i was asked about price.
If you want a standard respray in a normal paint then it will be around a grand for a decent job.
If you want candy, spectraflash, flip etc it will be about 3 grand

Yeah true, thats only really an option if you have a trailer etc that you can use and you can live without the car for a longer period of time :)

Agree on the price above aswell :)

Punto/Clio GTT
if you know what your doing it can look fine, its just not cost effective enough and takes way too long to use aerosols. ive done a shed load of paintwork on my drive wth rattle cans and they look as good as if they went to a bodyshop. My last project, dont have any before pictures but the quarter was in about 4 inch at the bottom right the way along, pulled it out with a drill, some tiny self tapping screws and some pliers, filled, primed and painted/laquered. all this was done outside in the wind and rain lol. cost me 30 quid all in and was paid 230 for it, it included doing any other rust on it which was easy enough to just blow in and a mop all over.
if you aint done anythin like this before though it probably aint a good idea to try.

all the grey area here is primer so you can see its quite a large area to paint with piss cans but i did and it looked mint.

IM000056-1.jpg

and my state of the art spraybooth.

IM000055.jpg

Trophy #473
Take your time, Read a book on spraying, have a practice. This was my first ever atempt at spraying, turned out well. dont rattle can it tho. cost me £500 including all paint/primer and spray equiptment, had it professionally PC'd tho. that cost £80.

clio109.jpg

my second car i sprayed:

Hughs008.jpg

Not my best tho, not enough laquer.

my third:

a57812e3.jpg

although that one never got finished. c**t didnt pay me.

The list goes on. Practice makes perfect, but take your time, its not as hard as you think to get a decent finish, but a flawless finish take skill.

nathan

1995 Clio RSi 1.8
Some nice jobs you ppl done up there ^^

Maybe ill look into it some more and have a think about it after christmas. Are certain colours easier to get a decent finish on than others, or is it really just a case of the technique?

Thanks for the help....