ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SSD Upgrade on MBP

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Cant be bothered to look through google so whats the main differences?

Is it worth the money?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you can afford it then yes. Personally I am going to wait for the prices to drop.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Until they start making larger ones more cheaply, I'll be staying HDD.

You could look at a hybrid drive?

Do it. I went SSD on my main drive on my PC and never looked back. I bought a third party SSD for my MBP and it's awesome (dont get Apples shitty expensive one btw!)

Go cry to your momma!
Only paupers rotate these days ;)

I like that, haha.

The crucial SSDs are pretty good - I had their first SSD, the M225 which has been superseded by the C300 (I think?) It's a sandforce based drive anyway, that's what you want to be looking at, the previous drive was indilix, which is slower and generally a little cheaper.

Currently rolling with a OCZ Vertex 2E and it flies. Happy to take a bootup vid of OSX or XP via bootcamp on my i5 MBP if you'd like to see the speed improvements.

I have the Vertex 2E too. Rapid!

Start-up time on the HDD was 45-47 seconds. SSD time = 16-17 seconds.

Everything is instant on SSD too, once you get one you could never go back! I keep getting fed up with my work laptops that are normal HDD, keep forgetting they slower :(

LY 182
@Mot: Get a video up I wanna see!

Would these other SSD's not trouble your AppleCare plan? Or would you just put the HDD back in and play dumb?

Go cry to your momma!
I'll get one up in the next hour or so dude.

Nah, Apple are cool with you switching HDDs and RAM :)

LY 182
Sweet. A friend of mine is a massive SSD fanboy so I might have to make that investment at some point when I'm a bit more flush.

Go cry to your momma!
Awful vid's but demonstrate some speed..

OS X Boot..

XP Boot via Bootcamp..

Don't think the wireless drivers had loaded when I opened firefox, oops.

As OS X loads, I have adium and mail load too - they're instant.
That's word 2010 I load.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Go cry to your momma!
And that vid also nicely shows the joys of glossy screens! :rasp:

Too right! They're not so bad when you're directly in front of them.

I'd have gone anti-glare if they didn't force you to go high res' too - any higher than what I have now, I can't see.
Blind as a bat haha.

LY 182
Hey man thanks for the vids. I really need to get hold of a copy of XP and whack it on via bootcamp. I'm sat here now with my old laptop next to me cos I need to do some work that requires Windows apps. The thing takes a good 2-3 mins to load up, probably 5 mins before I can get on and browsing the net lol. It's so loud.. and f**k does it sound / look horrendous next to my MBP.