ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Anyone know where I can get a decent starter motor from that's not going to cost the earth?

RPD are my usual go to but are out of stock.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The price of them has gone off the map! I bought a RTX one from euro in September for 53 quid including a £23 surcharge. Same one is currently £100 plus a surcharge 🤷‍♂️.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Nowhere local can rebuild your current one?

Possibly but the car is in daily use, so taking it off the road for a short period would be a bit of a ball ache tbh.

I may get the one that comes off sorted and kept as a spare.

I've also got my fuel pump randomly fail to prime, which I think it's likely to be the relay, so gotta find out what relay I need.

As usual it's all happening at once!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I assumed if the starter motor was fucked the car wasn't going anywhere in the first place.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly but the car is in daily use, so taking it off the road for a short period would be a bit of a ball ache tbh.

I may get the one that comes off sorted and kept as a spare.

I've also got my fuel pump randomly fail to prime, which I think it's likely to be the relay, so gotta find out what relay I need.

As usual it's all happening at once!

When you say fail to prime, is it struggling to start?

They don't prime on ignition on these (they do if you turn to ignition and then off and back on again).

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
When you say fail to prime, is it struggling to start?

They don't prime on ignition on these (they do if you turn to ignition and then off and back on again).

When it does crank it'll crank 5 or 6 times then cut out. When Ive checked the fuel rail, there's no fuel pressure.

I'm thinking this is either the fuel relay or possibly the crank position sensor?

The pump is brand new.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
When it does crank it'll crank 5 or 6 times then cut out. When Ive checked the fuel rail, there's no fuel pressure.

I'm thinking this is either the fuel relay or possibly the crank position sensor?

The pump is brand new.

If it's a faulty crank sensor, that would prevent it getting fuel yeah.

An immobiliser light would also stop it too.

Last edited:

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Imobaliser light isn't flashing, somi don't think that's the issue.

I'll replace the crank sensor as they're not an expensive item, and will change the relays too as they look the same age as the car lol

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
If you get a starter from ecp do not leave the building without looking at it first. I bought the expensive one and it was fucked;
IMG_20211022_170514.jpg

I took it back and swapped it for the cheapest one which looked brand new, but when fitted just didn't work. All available ones are refurbished.
I stripped and cleaned the oe one which was working intermittently and the issue turned out to be a dodgy connection.