ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering arm Bolt wont do up! (Pics)

TrackCar & F30 330d
When i'm tightening up the nut, the bolt just keeps spinning. I have tryed clamping the smooth part but cant get a decent hold on it.

I'm sprayed penertrating stuff on it to loosen the nut but it hasnt really helped.

Can anyone help?

IMG_2746.gif

If its got an allen key in the centre of the thread then hold that while tightening the nut with a spanner.

Or what i do is put a jack under the balljoint and jack it upta the hub, putting some pressure on the balljoint will stop it spinning. But just be carefull not to damage the balljoint in the process

LY 182
put a trolley jack under it to push it back in to the hub.....

then do it back up,, loads of wd

keep working it backwards and forwards and eventually undo a tad more each time

It's A Reno
It's a tapered joint. What holds it in place is the friction in the taper.

Take it apart and get all of that oil, grease and crap off of the taper and in the hole. It needs to be really clean.
If there is any damage on the taper, it needs to be GENTLY smoothed.
If the taper is not damaged, you should be able to tap it into the hole and it should hold, and then you vcan tighten it up or undo it, whatever you are doing.

it's a nylock nut, so it'll not spin off freely but you could wire brush the exposed threads, which'll help

after having removed it, the taper may have re-engaged in the hub and you might need to knock the pin out with a hammer. if it's particularly tight, put the nut back on a few turns and whack that, as you don't want to deform the threads on the head of the pin

ed. lol. it's an advice-fest!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wahey.
I jacked the ball joint up untill it reached the hub and it still span. So i cleaned all the grease and crap off and did it again and it worked. Good stuff.
New drive shaft is now in and theres no more clicking :)