ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking throttle at high revs

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Hi Guys,

Got a Clio 182 55 plate with 35k on the clock. Full service history and belts changed december 2010. The only new bits i have fitted to the car is two new lambda sensors on tusday.

Major problem with my car last night and this morning. Last night going along at some mph, in 5th. lift off the pedal and car continues to accelerate for a second. Then driving up a slip road onto the M25 taking the engine all the way to 6.5k through all the gears, even though i lift off to change the engine hits the rev limiter for a second before i engaged the next gear. Wasn't that much of a problem but a bit worrying.

This morning however the problem was worse. Driving along i noticed the person behind me was getting very close. Not thinking of what happened last night i dropped to 2nd and accelerated to the top of the gear. Lift off and the engine continues to accelerate. I put the clutch down and the engine hit the rev limiter. I paniced and turned the car off WHILST STILL GOING 40!!!!! Turned back on and the revs fly up. turn off again, back on and it revs. I then turn it off just as i come to a stop at a roundabout. I try turning it on a couple of time but it still wants to rev. I then have to push the car to a side road with idiots beeping at me. When the car is in a safe place i turn the car on and its normal again.

Safe to say i will not be reving it above 2k until it is looked at but can anyone shed light on the problem?

BMW E46 330ci Sport
I'm not sure to be honest. I'd say its unlikely sue to the fact that i will regulary put my foot down and this has never happened before. I have had the same mats for over 2 years. I will have a look though. Maybe take the mat out and see if it happens again.

Whilst i cant say 100%, i am pretty sure the accelerator was up when the problem was occuring. I cant be 100% due to the fact my attention was on the other two pedals and the rev counter.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I will check it out.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
its attached next to the airbox mate, yes 4 10mm bolts. Take it out give it a clean with some carb cleaner, stick it back in. Jobs a goodun.

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Ok i will have a look. I think my mechanical skill will stretch to doing that.

I had a look on my lunch break and whilst im not 100% sure, i think it may of been the mat like geoarge suggested. I will test it later to be sure. I really hope it is that.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Hi Johnny, did you get a solution to this?

My bus is idling at almost 3k and "effectively having cruise control on" FFS it wont slow down when I lift off and the revs only drop when I have the clutch at biting point :S

BMW E46 330ci Sport
Hi,

As embarrassing as it is to admit. My problem was the pedal getting stuck under the mat. Have repostioned the mat and problem hasn't happened again.

Sorry cant be more help then that.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Certainly not my mat causing it, and tried pulling the pedal up by hand on idle too.

Took it for a blast as I had this before a few weeks ago but it "drove out" no joy on that front either :rolleyes:

"Navy" N17 TWO
its attached next to the airbox mate, yes 4 10mm bolts. Take it out give it a clean with some carb cleaner, stick it back in. Jobs a goodun.

Just incase anyone else has this problem, I just done the above ^ it didn't look all that dirty but went for it anyway. Car is running sweet as now :D