ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Still cuts out randomly?

Clio MK 4
following on from last thread..

Still doing it and have it booked in at a garage with diagnostics on tuesday.

The one main thing i have noticed is it seems to only do it evening/night and when the temperature outside is below 12 degrees!! In the day it never cut out so far.

Its wierd as as i'm driving I can feel its about to cut as the car goes jumpy. I even some how managed to start the car up while rolling and not turning the ey i lifted the clutch quickly or something and it started while rolling. No idea what i did.

When it does cut out it starts fine straight away.

I have noticed sometimes i have to blip revs when starting car or itl start the die. But this is not all the time.

Thing is wont diagnostic be usless as the problem will most likly not occur whilst on it.

Clio MK 4
following on from last thread..

Still doing it and have it booked in at a garage with diagnostics on tuesday.

The one main thing i have noticed is it seems to only do it evening/night and when the temperature outside is below 12 degrees!! In the day it never cut out so far.

Its wierd as as i'm driving I can feel its about to cut as the car goes jumpy. I even some how managed to start the car up while rolling and not turning the key, i lifted the clutch quickly or something and it started while rolling. No idea what i did.

When it does cut out it starts fine straight away.

I have noticed sometimes i have to blip revs when starting car or itl start the die. But this is not all the time.

Thing is wont diagnostic be usless as the problem will most likly not occur whilst on it.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Probably nothing to do with the temp, it'll just coincidence. Mine did this and after cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve with carb cleaner it improved. When it started to do it again I changed the ICV, it has been fine for about four months. They cost about £55.

Clio MK 4
whats the ICV?

just realised idle control valve.

i have a bad feeling garage will do diagnostic and check the car and say they cant find anything..

Last edited:
  Clio MK 4
so far still only cuts out around 12 degrees or lower . It in garage now but i'm not convinced theyl find anything. I mentioned it could be ICV but they always seem to look at me like i know f**k all and it wont be that.

rps13
get renault to run it on the CLIP test. that's the only way you'l get an acurate fault code. Snap-on readers in general garages are usually outdated and crap.

Megane 225
The problem is in order to find a fault there needs to be a sensor to tell the computer what's wrong, if you have a fault where there is no sensor it'll be fun working out what's wrong!

Clio MK 4
The problem is in order to find a fault there needs to be a sensor to tell the computer what's wrong, if you have a fault where there is no sensor it'll be fun working out what's wrong!

I know. Hoping the renault diagnostic will be better than the one i did yesterday at local garage.

With the symptons being, cuts out in lowish temperature, need to blip accelerator when starting sometimes or it fires up and dies, idles wierdly at times and very lumpy in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes unbearable with lack of power you'd of thought it cant be that hard.

Phase 2 172 Cup
yes, the ecu will store all the recent faults it has, so they will be there for renault to see.

mine did the same, i replaced the throttle body (which contains the ICV) and mines been perfect ever since

Clio MK 4
yes, the ecu will store all the recent faults it has, so they will be there for renault to see.

mine did the same, i replaced the throttle body (which contains the ICV) and mines been perfect ever since

I told them when dropped it off my throttle body may be dirty or the ICV is faulty so hopefully they will actually check that.

How much did that set you back?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

I'm not sure the throttle body contains the ICV, but I could be wrong as I've got a ph1 and it might be diff on a ph2. You might be refering though to the throttle position sensor which is on the side of the throttle body. Must be a photo on here somewhere.

Clio MK 4
Re: Still cuts out randomly? update from renault

Been at renault on their diagnostic machine and found no faults.

They said the next option would be to remove throttle body and give it a good clean as could be clogged up. So having that done and then see from there.

all so annoying especially if i pay for this and it still cuts. I'm just going to hope.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
mine did similar thing, altho not quite as frequently. very embarrasin when ur sat at traffic lights.

had my throttle body cleaned. £50. perfect.

TT 225
sat at asda trying to get out at the lights, clutch fully down an it just cut out lol. guess a few people are having the same problem.

Clio MK 4
Throttle body now cleaned so hopefully that fixed it. They did say it was a bit clogged up when they did it. will pick car up tomorow and see.