ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Studio lighting

Cupra
I am thinking of buying some studio flashes to have a play with but know very little about them. I know there are a couple of people on here who do studio work and was hoping for some advice.

I'd be buying second hand kit as the market is fairly good here and you can buy stuff and sell it again without loosing any money.

• What are the well respected brands?
  • Can the cheaper stuff do as good a job?
  • What wattage is needed? I have seen them from 150 to 600+. I'd be using it for shooting people indoors, but wouldn't mind having a play with some location shoots of cars etc.
  • How many lights are really needed? Most of the kits I have seen for sale are with two flashes, but some have 3 or 4.
  • What accessories are needed? Snoots, grids, reflectors, softboxes???
  • Any thing else I should know or look out for?

Thanks for any tips!

If you're just starting out have you considered a strobist setup?

A speedlite, umbrella soft box and light stand can be had for a fraction of the cost of studio lighting
There are some cracking "cheap" remote triggers available as well that I use

And the advantage is it all runs on batteries and you can take it anywhere

My mate did a lovely write up about it all here -> http://ricknunn.com/strobist-startup-kit/

Cupra
The portability side of it is more than a nice to have than an essential. I have a speedlight and cheap wireless triggers too.

I just fancied trying something a bit different, and spending 5-600 for a while is okay, as I can sell it all off again if I get bored. I have also been asked to do some work for somebody (indoor portrait work) that would require them in a couple of months time, and the pay should more than cover the costs... I just want to know what I should be looking at buying. I had thought of using a couple of flashes but don't think it would look professional and a full day of shooting may give a speedlight problems from what I have read.

Thanks for the info so far.

Bus w**ker
My mate did a lovely write up about it all here -> h**p://ricknunn.com/strobist-startup-kit/

Yeah "lovely"

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at ricknunn.com contains elements from the site 85.234.191.190, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for 85.234.191.190.

:headno:

LY 182 FF CUPPED
just bagged myself two Gemini 500w + a travel pack, will let you know how I get on.
(no one loves a show off)

go spend a couple of hours in a studio and see what youthink

The portability side of it is more than a nice to have than an essential. I have a speedlight and cheap wireless triggers too.

I just fancied trying something a bit different, and spending 5-600 for a while is okay, as I can sell it all off again if I get bored. I have also been asked to do some work for somebody (indoor portrait work) that would require them in a couple of months time, and the pay should more than cover the costs... I just want to know what I should be looking at buying. I had thought of using a couple of flashes but don't think it would look professional and a full day of shooting may give a speedlight problems from what I have read.

Thanks for the info so far.

Cupra
Probably a good idea. It is over 10 years since I used proper lights so I could do with a refresher really.

Planetx, I look forward to seeing your shots!!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just got myself a SB-900 to go along with my D90 and SB-600 that I already have :)

What's the best way to use those for some portrait shots?

Cupra
I've found an amazing set with Elinchrom fx400s x3 + battery pack, light meter, back drops etc. It is at a bargain price for what it is.

Do you guys use a light meter or just a bit of trial and error with the histogram?

I've put a cheeky offer on it and will see what comes back.

Cupra
LOL. I was also going to wing it but as this set comes with one, I guess I'll use it. The guy has accepted my offer so I'll be heading to the other side of holland to pick up my new studio this week. Looking forward to having a play!!

Cupra
Oops. Out of my depth much....

I managed to pick up over 3Ks worth of kit for just over 1K. The whole kit has only been used twice and came with a power pack, backdrops with stands, wall mounts, light meter and instruction DVDs (will be very useful).

I have a lot to play with and learn over the coming weeks!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 45

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What are the studio light kits like of ebay? I just wanted to take my portraits up a level!!

Cupra
Junglejim or bluepete from here had some Blazzeo lights from eBay and got on well with them. I read a lot of bad reviews of the various cheap Chinese lights with regards to overheating, differing Whitebalance per light and they don't hold up to much abuse (screw threads strip, cracked plastic etc).

Most of the lighting experts on POTN say it's a case of you get what you pay for.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
oh yeah i kinda figured that. Im sure i saw a post somewhere of a decent set up!!