ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sudden MPG drop

M3 SMG
Right another problem has arisen!! Getting silly now.

Car was having a random EMLs coming on and resulted in the eventual diagnostics of the fact the rear lambda was for some reason taped to the exhaust and a bung in the hole, metering the air outside causing my car to run under the weather. Lambda replaced and car changed gear better, felt alot smoother and returned marginally better mpg.

A few weeks later it all but died with the biggest missfire you had ever seen. Could barely manage 30mph.

Replaced coil, nothing, cts nothing. Pulled plugs out and they where FUCKED. Supposed to last 72k and mines done 39 :( So replaced them for gen ngk ones, gapped the same and lo and behold missfire has gone. Car drives better. In the same week i replaced the two worn front tyres for the same make/size also had aircon regassed/serviced. Since that week my average mpg on the same journey i do every day to work has dropped from 31mpg minimum to 37mpg max to 30mpg max and 24mpg min :( Same car, same journey same driver same fuel varying speeds etc.. I did notice today in traffic that the mpg was literally dropping off in seconds whilst idling? I know it will always drop but it was like watching a stopwatch!? Never used to do that!

What in the name of f**k is wrong with it now?! No warning lights, no judders missfires or any other shinanegans. It kind of felt down on power the other day but that could of just been the extreme heat/humidity and the fact the aircon was on full whack

Please help because im just about to get rid of it as its causing me so much hassle its unreal

ITB BG 182
Make sure you get the renault lambda O2 sensors, i had an NGK one an it was shafted within the month, replace both sensors aswell.

Mk5 golf gti
yea get some genuine lamdas mainly the one closest the manifold.
how does it run from cold?
sometimes it can accelerate slightly when holding the peddle in one place if that makes sense
i always find a good dose of vpower helps with my mpg

M3 SMG
It has a sports cat, behind to wonder if this is he cause of all my woe.

It runs very weird from cold have problems starting 1st time and it seems like a 100year old engine for the first 2mins then it comes to life. I presume what you mean with acceleration is where your foot isn't moving in a fixed position then the car suddenly accelerates for you? If so then yep that happens everyday ll or a sudden

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Give her a good ol' full service, my old car did that and it was becasue the oil used by the previous owner wasnt the best. Flushed and added new oil and the problem was gone :)

Mk5 golf gti
It has a sports cat, behind to wonder if this is he cause of all my woe.

It runs very weird from cold have problems starting 1st time and it seems like a 100year old engine for the first 2mins then it comes to life. I presume what you mean with acceleration is where your foot isn't moving in a fixed position then the car suddenly accelerates for you? If so then yep that happens everyday ll or a sudden

thats definateley lambda related then in my experiance

M3 SMG
Are Renault ones not a bosch part?

Lambda was replaced recently so I can't believe its eaten another in 2months with no eml issues?

Service is on the cards it was quite low on oil recently so I topped up with elf stuff from stealers

monaco 172
go for the renault one, do the before cat one. As far as im aware the after cat lambda does nothing other than make sure the cat and everything which keeps emmissions down is working, it doesnt have any influence on the running of the engine, hence why people with decats dont have any issues other than the light coming on.

M3 SMG
Common misconception mine ran like crap with a dodgy post cat one. My pre cat was replaced only 2months ago :(