ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sun visor bulbs.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Does anyone know what type of bulbs are in the clio sunvisor.

Thanks

Clio 172 Ph2
Does anyone know what type of bulbs are in the clio sunvisor.

Thanks

I know this is old but im looking myself to upgrade to LED in the visors.

the only noticeable markings on the bulbs in question are

12v3w PLX

But when searching this bulb type nothing comes up

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
It is an old one. Tbh i never ended up finding out and I sold the Clio over 2 years ago. Wether someone else knows and can help..

Clio 172 Ph2
It is an old one. Tbh i never ended up finding out and I sold the Clio over 2 years ago. Wether someone else knows and can help..

THanks anyway.

I think im gonna order some 239 FESTOON 272 LED's and see if they work at 39mm long and 10mm wide with a 1.32w per bulb and report back to this thread when theyre fitted to see if they work or not.

At least then someone will have an answer.

I have upgraded every other light inside, glove box, roof lighting, boot light etc these are the only ones left inside to do without removing parts and resoldering new LED's.

Regards

Jon

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Hopefully they do fit and work then atleast other People know what to get 👍. That's what I did when I had the Clio. On my car now Ive upgraded every bulb to led.

But this is the light you want to keep warm so it makes you look better than you really are, led so bright will make you look some hunch back of notre dam

Clio 172 Ph2
But this is the light you want to keep warm so it makes you look better than you really are, led so bright will make you look some hunch back of notre dam

Its more of a matchy matchy thing.

At some point my brother in law will be doing all the dash lights and centre consoles, window switches etc to LED so its just to keep the car looking uniform as far as lighting is concerned.

J

Clio 172 Ph2
ok so the festoon 239 39mm LED bulbs were far too big and i couldnt get them to make a stable connection to test them.

I think a 36mm will fit much better and that will be my next try.

J

02 Iceberg 172
@frayz no worries! I posted this on OzRS a while ago but will repost here incase people can't view it. Will hopefully help those who are after either both standard and led specs 🙂

The standard bulbs are 12V 3W festoon bulbs but much narrower than the usual festoon bulb at only 6mm diameter rather than the usual 8 to 10mm diameter. Length is approx 36mm long and they look like this:

Screenshot_20220724-201713_Chrome.jpg.a4c043a7e40634317a20f8135c652939.jpg

Not that common but can be found under SV6 or 256A designations. The pointed ends locate into holes in powered metal tabs within the sunvisor to hold in place. There are 2 bulbs in each sunvisor.

If you are wanting to convert these to led most festoon led bulbs are too large a diameter to fit. However I found that you can modify some 28-30mm fuse led bulbs to basically replicate the dimensions of the original bulbs . Carefully use a Dremel or similar to remove the pointed tips from the metal ends of the standard bulb and solder these onto the ends of the fuse led. The metal ends are glued onto the glass of the standard bulb, so I would recommend breaking the glass bulb first - they make a nice pop! - and use some small pliers to hold them while cutting the tips off.

The led fuse bulbs I sourced were from Diode Dynamics: https://www.diodedynamics.com/28mm-smf1-led-bulbs.html

20220716_173045.thumb.jpg.db967b6d57c9c5e8574781a9b9fbbc6f.jpg

20220716_175903.jpg.2f8f47e0fd8fb14bdbe545bc26193bde.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
@frayz no worries! I posted this on OzRS a while ago but will repost here incase people can't view it. Will hopefully help those who are after either both standard and led specs 🙂

The standard bulbs are 12V 3W festoon bulbs but much narrower than the usual festoon bulb at only 6mm diameter rather than the usual 8 to 10mm diameter. Length is approx 36mm long and they look like this:

View attachment 1618740

Not that common but can be found under SV6 or 256A designations. The pointed ends locate into holes in powered metal tabs within the sunvisor to hold in place. There are 2 bulbs in each sunvisor.

If you are wanting to convert these to led most festoon led bulbs are too large a diameter to fit. However I found that you can modify some 28-30mm fuse led bulbs to basically replicate the dimensions of the original bulbs . Carefully use a Dremel or similar to remove the pointed tips from the metal ends of the standard bulb and solder these onto the ends of the fuse led. The metal ends are glued onto the glass of the standard bulb, so I would recommend breaking the glass bulb first - they make a nice pop! - and use some small pliers to hold them while cutting the tips off.

The led fuse bulbs I sourced were from Diode Dynamics: https://www.diodedynamics.com/28mm-smf1-led-bulbs.html

View attachment 1618743

View attachment 1618744
Thank you for such a detailed response.
That’s excellent. 🙂👌🏼

02 Iceberg 172
Would these work?

I did see those type of leds when I was looking for ones that would fit, but I didn't go with them for a couple of reasons. Firstly, at 9mm diameter I wasn't sure they would fit - especially with the metal cap being that large. There is a chance you could create a short on the metallised film (behind the bulb within the sunvisor) that is used to reflect the light. And secondly, at 140 lumens each they would be stupidly bright for sunvisor lights! The fuse leds I have are only 16 lumens each and I honestly wouldn't want them any brighter.