ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supertech valves, springs and stemseals needed?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good afternoon,

My 182 is going in for cams, cambelt and arp rod bolts soon.

I'd like to add supertech valves to this list, but do I need valve springs and stem seals as well as the inlet and exhaust valves?

Thank you!

Reactions: HAP

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Good afternoon,

My 182 is going in for cams, cambelt and arp rod bolts soon.

I'd like to add supertech valves to this list, but do I need valve springs and stem seals as well as the inlet and exhaust valves?

Thank you!
I had mine done a few years back and I just supplied them with the valves.

Reactions: MLB

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
It would be stupid to not give the head a full refresh just for peace of mind.
I would look at 1 piece valves which bend and don't snap
i would also get the head port and polished, with 3 angle seat mods carried out.
Will be flowing great and will get you the most amount of gains HP wise

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Valves will definitely be done, the question is if springs and stemseals need to be done as well?

Got an RS2 so won't be needing any port and polishing 👍

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Get the valve guides checked for wear and replaced if ness. Stem seals need to be changed as a matter of course.

Not sure if you need spring change, maybe 197 if they are better than 182 ? Unsure if they are or not but it will be matched to cams.

You will need to check installed height of the valvesprings with supertechs in, especially if using cat cams springs etc. My 197 head needed custom 1.5mm ish shims to get the correct installed height with catcams springs, so the spring pressure is correct.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant, thank you very much @Brigsy , I think I'll contact Birchdown again to discuss as that reads like it will require a bit more than just chugging some new valves in!

I'll get the parts cannon ready 😂

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Valves will definitely be done, the question is if springs and stemseals need to be done as well?

I would recommend getting the head port and polished, you need every little bit of help to get any great power out of the F4r, its not like a K20 or K24 where a map and breathing mods give huge gains.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Are you going for (much) higher rpm than stock? If not then stock springs should be fine.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Get the valve guides checked for wear and replaced if ness. Stem seals need to be changed as a matter of course.

Not sure if you need spring change, maybe 197 if they are better than 182 ? Unsure if they are or not but it will be matched to cams.

You will need to check installed height of the valvesprings with supertechs in, especially if using cat cams springs etc. My 197 head needed custom 1.5mm ish shims to get the correct installed height with catcams springs, so the spring pressure is correct.

Got this video today

Think they were due replacement😂

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That's what the guy doing the work said as well!

No idea on mileage, the engine has been changed after spinning a bearing in 2016, done another 33k miles with quite a lot of track miles since then.

@Christopher. Long time ago, but maybe you can remember approximately what miles the engine was on when fitted?

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
That's what the guy doing the work said as well!

No idea on mileage, the engine has been changed after spinning a bearing in 2016, done another 33k miles with quite a lot of track miles since then.

@Christopher. Long time ago, but maybe you can remember approximately what miles the engine was on when fitted?

Pretty sure it was coming upto if not over 100k ! It's a PH1 Engine in there, Came out a Y reg from memory.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Its done alright at that mileage i guess!

Well worth doing the upgrades for reliable hard use.