ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TCP/IP

Not a 320d
On my CV TCP/IP is listed under my skills/knowledge summary.

Its been there for a while, simply because job listings note a requirement as "understanding of TCP/IP".

Ive recently been thinking, what the f**k falls under TCP/IP exactly for them to list this as a requirement? Because they always seem to want it....

VLSM?

TCP Connection, as in relaible transmission blah blah?

The protocols which use TCP?

For example:

Essential Knowledge/Skills/Experience:
• Able to work to deadlines and changing priorities in a busy IT services environment
• Ability to prioritise and manage personal workload and achieve objectives
• Strong communication and documentation skills at both technical and business levels
• Excellent customer facing skills
• Experience of TCP/IP and communication protocols (FTP, SFTP, FTPS, MQ, AS2)

Last edited:
  172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Pretty much, if they are only asking for an understanding of TCP/IP, I'd have to assume this just means you understand packet switched networks, IP addressing, subnet masks, ports... that sort of thing. I wouldn't have thought they want anything too advanced such as VLANs, LACP unless they specifically ask for it.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Most of the time it's just a filler on a job spec when HR have run out of anything interesting to put down.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^ Agreed.

Space filler really. Probably to filter out the truly stupid who don't understand something that basic.

Not a 320d
Well thats what I thought, but I was worried because I thought it was so basic that it couldn't possibly be so basic and that it was more complicated and I was in fact retarded.