ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The dreaded Electrical Warning light..

Clio MKII
Hi guys, first post. Please be gentle..

I've searched and read on many other forums about an issue where the electrical warning light suddenly illuminates on the dashboard, and then the rev's drop and the engine tries to cut out - but if you keep it steadily rev'd it disappears like magic, but there has never been a simple solution..

Well my car has been doing this for some time now, and what pisses me off is that when I make a short journey to the shop, park up, buy my stuff, then get back in and drive home, it more or less does this 100% every time! And it's quite embarrassing when at the front of a junction. It also seems to do it more in warm weather. Not only that my ex-girlfriends car used to do it all the time. In the end she got told to get a new engine!

The other forums are just like garage mechanics, saying it's either the TDC sensor, this sensor, that sensor, the weather, your face, etc.

I've read about this loom which has a metal protective plate over it which rubs against the wires, exposing them, causing them to short. So I had a look, and there it was.. 2 plugs at the back of the engine, the left one shows the electrical tape strangled around the wires and some chaffing and wires exposed... Although there was no metal protective housing..?

COULD THIS be whats causing my car to try and cut out? And has anyone else had a similar problem? Picture attached.

blackbox.jpg

Thats what was causing my problems, removed it and wrapped the wires in some electrical tape and the car was fine till the day I sold it.

Clio mkII
Ive got the same problem, when i used a code reader which flashed up as a code for my tps, would this damaged loom cause this code to show?

Ive ordered a modified tps any way to cover all angles.