ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The rise of AI and it's effect on the world.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I've just sat through this episode of Click on iPlayer and I found it very interesting :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01gykwg/Click_21_04_2012/

It's on for 24 minutes so i'll surmise:

Basically it's talking about how the evolution of technology may eventually allow us to have real life avatars and interact with each other and objects in a virtual reality. Also explains how the TuPac concert was done the other week.

For example, there is the possibility that in god knows how many years time, you lot could 'jack in' to cliosport and give Daniel a hand job if you were that way inclined. I think that one day the guides section will be an actual place in virtual reality where you can walk into the guides section and interact with the articles physically.

Will this happen in our lifetimes? Probably not, but I find things like this fascinating.

Thoughts?

Bus w**ker
skynet.jpg

Evo 5 RS
I think the day an AI finally becomes self aware we'll just s**t bricks and pull the plug.

Booting*..................................... "Alright Dave?"

..F*CK me *yanks cord*

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I studied psychology at university, but my background vocationally is in software writing, so I have always found the similarities and differences between our brains and computers truely fascinating.

AI always seems to progress more slowly than people are expecting it too though, so I agree with your "in god knows how many years time" as I do think that real machine inteligence is still a long way off.

There are certainly some good examples of computers that can fool people by typing that they are a person, but then conversely there are some people who type in a way you might confuse with a machine, lol

Artificial integlince will never be as humourous as natural stupidity though.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I studied psychology at university, but my background vocationally is in software writing, so I have always found the similarities and differences between our brains and computers truely fascinating.

AI always seems to progress more slowly than people are expecting it too though, so I agree with your "in god knows how many years time" as I do think that real machine inteligence is still a long way off.

There are certainly some good examples of computers that can fool people by typing that they are a person, but then conversely there are some people who type in a way you might confuse with a machine, lol

Artificial integlince will never be as humourous as natural stupidity though.

Yeh they were saying in that episode I linked that some tech has come on massively however some of it hasn't improved at all in over 20 years as the technology isn't there.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeh they were saying in that episode I linked that some tech has come on massively however some of it hasn't improved at all in over 20 years as the technology isn't there.

Yeah its 20 years ago when I was a teenager that people were first saying it was just around the corner, and in reality it doesnt really seem a lot closer now than then in many ways

I think that when we do have the technology for AI we need to be seriously careful how it gets implemented though, machines need to always be our servants not our masters etc, Im not saying I think skynet is a likely reality, but I do think we might get to the stage that if we rely too much on machines to think for us we move backwards ourselves as a result.

Evo 5 RS
In computing terms we're miles off, I'd say at least double our life time. And that's just a guesstimate obviously

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Another interesting thing I remember watching was a programme by James May.

He was saying that we have the technology to theoretically teleport something from A to B but with current tech it would take 1 billion years to transport something the size of a pea. Teleportation would be great. Beam me up Scotty.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In computing terms we're miles off, I'd say at least double our life time. And that's just a guesstimate obviously

Do you mean in terms of computing power, ie the actual hardware?

I think there is something about life/inteligence that is going to be harder to implement in terms of the software than the hardware in many ways, but I do agree that just in hardware terms we're a long way off currently too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have you seen Watson play jepoardy?

Very cool :)

Machines completely trounce us for basic data processing on large scales, but I would say thats very different to inteligence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't view vid at work but...

I think that AI will be something that pops into existance rather than being programmed. They already do all sorts of clever stuff with learning/evolving software. The results often suprises even the guys who programmed it. One day someone is gonna write the right initial software for the right piece of hardware and it's just gonna evolve into an AI.

Evo 5 RS
lol ^

Watson is in no way self aware though. The way a computer works and the way a human brain work are obviously fundamentally different. I'd imagine even when it's possible it will be almost an emulation maybe. Note maybe...

I just meant in terms of the amount of physical memory/processing power. Think someone said roughly 10,000TB of Physical memory alone

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Very cool :)

Machines completely trounce us for basic data processing on large scales, but I would say thats very different to inteligence.

Is it? You could argue that intelligence is just extreme processing.

Take Watson for example, "he" (LOL) isn't connected to the internet and is processing the questions in real time from the speech alone.
He is connected to some fairly big databases, but I still think that's incredible.

Quantum computing isn't far away either and that makes so much more possible. Especially for AI as the processing times are so drastically faster.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is it? You could argue that intelligence is just extreme processing.

IMHO inteligence is the ability to figure out something completely new, which I dont see Watson doing yet.
Computers are epic at giving them a specific problem and an existing solution and get them to refine it and that sort of thing, ie evolution of ideas, but Im not convinced that we are anywhere close to them creating anything new which to me is what really demonstrates inteligence.

That said, dogs are "inteligent" too of course, and they dont invent things, so I can certainly see why someone would completely disagree with me on what constitutes inteligence or not, Im talking in the context of human inteligence really, but if you are not then its obviously a different situation.

Take Watson for example, "he" (LOL) isn't connected to the internet and is processing the questions in real time from the speech alone.
He is connected to some fairly big databases, but I still think that's incredible.
Definately incredible.

Quantum computing isn't far away either and that makes so much more possible. Especially for AI as the processing times are so drastically faster.
People keep saying that, even 10 years ago they were saying it in fact, so will be interesting to see when it does really happen, as like you are saying thats the sort of revolution that I think is needed in processing power.

Evo 5 RS
People keep saying that, even 10 years ago they were saying it in fact, so will be interesting to see when it does really happen, as like you are saying thats the sort of revolution that I think is needed in processing power.

Agree massively. Although they're finally hitting a brick wall with silicon fabrication so maybe something will come out of the works there. Which just goes back to the fact that nothings really changed in the industry for about 20 years

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
IMHO inteligence is the ability to figure out something completely new, which I dont see Watson doing yet.
Computers are epic at giving them a specific problem and an existing solution and get them to refine it and that sort of thing, ie evolution of ideas, but Im not convinced that we are anywhere close to them creating anything new which to me is what really demonstrates inteligence.

That said, dogs are "inteligent" too of course, and they dont invent things, so I can certainly see why someone would completely disagree with me on what constitutes inteligence or not, Im talking in the context of human inteligence really, but if you are not then its obviously a different situation.

Definately incredible.

I posted in feb about the working prototype of IBM's quantum computer, they are progressing well. But thats the future for sure.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?627978-Quantum-computers&highlight=quantum+computing