ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tightening up Gearchange options

clio 182
After reading of the sad passing of Yanoo what options do I have available for refreshing and tightening up the Gearchnage on my Phase 1 172 please?

monaco 172
PMS shifter is the ultimate option I think.

I tried all sorts on my 182 to improve the gearchange and it was still sloppy as hell compared to my civic

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The brass bushes Yanoo used to supply for £9 posted made a lot of difference for me and for the price you can’t complain. Ultimately depending on what you use your car for the PMS shifter could be totally overkill, personally I wouldn’t want it on a daily although I’m sure that well over 50% of cars on here aren’t used daily anyway.

Ideally we just need someone else to at least supply the brass bushes now that poor Yanoo passed :( I believe @plees is working on that.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
PMS is awesome and aside from the noise I don’t see why it wouldn’t be great on a daily.

I was really impressed when I drove my mate’s 182 with PMS. The noise is shockingly bad though, I’d have to sort that a bit. It transforms the drive for me and made me want one in mine badly!

If you have deep pockets, Zeropoint One are coming out with a 172/182 shifter. Looks way more motorsport/professional than the PMS shifter but I’d guess it’ll be a grand so I’m not knocking the PMS shifter for what it is. I have asked them when it’s out but no reply sadly.

Zeropoint One pic from FB

8D6283F4-ECB2-46FD-A602-8E25E1E7E010.jpeg

406 V6, Race Buggy
The brass bushes Yanoo used to supply for £9 posted made a lot of difference for me and for the price you can’t complain. Ultimately depending on what you use your car for the PMS shifter could be totally overkill, personally I wouldn’t want it on a daily although I’m sure that well over 50% of cars on here aren’t used daily anyway.

Ideally we just need someone else to at least supply the brass bushes now that poor Yanoo passed :( I believe @plees is working on that.

Are they the same as a lot of other french setups, just have a pair of top hat brass bushes on the bottom?
I used to make them for similar links on the MA boxes, I can take a look if they're they same I probably have some on the shelf, I used to have Oilite replacements for the bottom of the lever as well.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Be great if someone could copy the other Yanoo parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Are they the same as a lot of other french setups, just have a pair of top hat brass bushes on the bottom?
I used to make them for similar links on the MA boxes, I can take a look if they're they same I probably have some on the shelf, I used to have Oilite replacements for the bottom of the lever as well.

Yup, all i've fitted is literally these, which imo do a great job for a minimal outlay. Yanoo (RIP) used to supply them posted for £9 which to me seemed more than reasonable:

Capture.PNG

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
PMS is awesome and aside from the noise I don’t see why it wouldn’t be great on a daily.

I was really impressed when I drove my mate’s 182 with PMS. The noise is shockingly bad though, I’d have to sort that a bit. It transforms the drive for me and made me want one in mine badly!

If you have deep pockets, Zeropoint One are coming out with a 172/182 shifter. Looks way more motorsport/professional than the PMS shifter but I’d guess it’ll be a grand so I’m not knocking the PMS shifter for what it is. I have asked them when it’s out but no reply sadly.

Zeropoint One pic from FB

View attachment 1538783

I’m lead to believe (and correct me if im wrong) but this doesn’t actually replace the whole gear linkage system like the PMS system does and is purely for show rather than go, a perfect Instagram product. I have no idea how they can justify 1k for that shifter, just looking at their site its literally just the shifter, no gear linkage for any other products so can't see why it would be different for the 1*2's, I completely disagree with PMS's products being less 'motorsport/professional' focussed than an overpriced Instagram product when they aren’t even replacing the whole gear linkage system!

I agree the PMS system is totally the way to go, but for £9 to stiffen up the standard shifter compared to £348 + postage for the PMS the bushes alone are a good way to start and see how you get on? For instance brass bushes are fine for my car which only really comes out of the garage for track days, the shifts feel 100% better than standard but obviously wont feel anywhere as nice as with the PMS system but its cost me £339 less :D I can put that in the diff fund lol.

Last edited:

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I’m lead to believe (and correct me if im wrong) but this doesn’t actually replace the whole gear linkage system like the PMS system does and is purely for show rather than go, a perfect Instagram product. I have no idea how they can justify 1k for that shifter, just looking at their site its literally just the shifter, no gear linkage for any other products so can't see why it would be different for the 1*2's, I completely disagree with PMS's products being less 'motorsport/professional' focussed than an overpriced Instagram product when they aren’t even replacing the whole gear linkage system!

I agree the PMS system is totally the way to go, but for £9 to stiffen up the standard shifter compared to £348 + postage for the PMS the bushes alone are a good way to start and see how you get on? For instance brass bushes are fine for my car which only really comes out of the garage for track days, the shifts feel 100% better than standard but obviously wont feel anywhere as nice as with the PMS system but its cost me £339 less :D I can put that in the diff fund lol.

Wouldn’t say Zeropoint is just for show, they look well made.

Not sure where you’ve seen the details as to what comes with it? I haven’t seen any info on their site for the 172/182 shifter, only the one pic on Facebook.

They look extremely well made and I’ve no doubt they’ll perform well.

Also, the 197 shifter is ‘just’ a shifter as they are cable operated so maybe that’s what you’re meaning?

Either way, the extra part is pretty much just a hollow rod for the linkage so wouldn’t see it as adding much monetary value.

As I say, I love the PMS but if you look at the mounting it’s just a crude box, the Zeropoint shifter is different gravy in terms of quality and production costs.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I'll see if someone has a gearlever and linkage locally I can buy/beg/borrow to work from.

Where are you? I have a spare setup you can borrow in Ashford, Kent. Was intending to to the solid bushes myself but I’m going PMS after.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
I’ve just sent 5 pairs of brass top hat bushes out to be tested and get some feedback.

Once they’re fitted and I’ve had some feedback I was going to look into doing a small batch of them.

in terms of tightening it all up, these will make a great difference to a 15 year old setup replacing the standard plastic/ rubber bush

other things to consider are getting a rebuild kit from eBay or similar which I’m sure possibly @Louis ?? Has had results with. (Could be wrong but the name rings a bell)

And replacing the plastic pivot ball on the gearbox can be known to help.

Cheers