ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time Machine Experts/HDD People!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Y0!

Im looking at collecting a stash of films now, IE putting all my films onto a hard drive.

I currently back my macbook up to a 500gb hard drive, which is partitioned 400gb to my macbook and 100gb in the FAT32 format (for windows purposes).

Anywho,

Is there anyway I can re partition my HDD, 250gb to time machine and 250gb for films without loosing all my time machine backups?

Bit confused, so any help appreciated.

Luke :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Time machine just creates a sparse disk image on the drive (in folders because you can backup more than one machine to the same time machine backup disk), when it does a backup it mounts the sparse image (dmg) and then does its magic.

There shouldn't be a problem resizing the partitions as long as the new partition that holds the sparse image is bigger than the size of the sparse image.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Snoop, would you mind providing me with a bit of a mini guide about how I do this? I know how to partition a disk (disk utility) but im not sure how I do it without deleting everything.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I was going to try an explain what snoop did, but in a far more complicated, but less technical way. LOL.

But yeah, do that.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Snoop, would you mind providing me with a bit of a mini guide about how I do this? I know how to partition a disk (disk utility) but im not sure how I do it without deleting everything.

You can resize the HFS partition like this:

http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/20/resize-partitions-in-mac-os-x-with-disk-utility/

Not sure about the FAT32 partition, never resized one, you may need to backup and then recreate the FAT32 partition and then put the stuff back that you copied off.