ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toxic Fume Light + Sounding Like a Bag of Spanners

Astra Twintop
Pulled out of a junction today, driving down the road as you do, car sort of jerked a little, and the "toxic fume" light came on!

Now car seems sluggish to drive, and generally sounds like a bag of spanners!

Just chucked £20 petrol in her, and it is still doing it!

Thinking coil pack?
Possible misfire? If so what can I do to sort it?

im gonna drop it into a garage tomorrow and see what he says, but anyone got any idea so i can give him a heads up?

Thanks!

Ha me either but it's not hard to test the coils.
To test the coils you just pull one out at a time, if the engine note changes then the coils fine, if it doesn't change then you know you've got a knackered coil.

RB Clio 182 Cup
I would def reccomend testing the coils yourself rather than taking it to a garage. Exact same thing happened to my old 1.6. To remove a pencil coil all u need be able to do is take off the engine cover, undo 1 bolt and unclip the electric plug. Seriously simple, you will be kicking yourself for wasting money if you pay someone else to do it.

Think a coil cost me about £40, and rly easy to figure out which one is gone. Just take the electrical connection off them one by one and try to run the engine with one disconnected. If you disconnect a the bad one the engine will sound the same as its running at the moment. If you disconnect a good one it will probably fail to start and if it does it will be running terribly.

Astra Twintop
Right!

Its apparently NOT the coils

Going to ring a few local garages tomorrow to see what they think it is.

My old fella keeps mentioning the O2 sensor? This the same as the Lambda one?

RS Clio 182
yes lambda sensor and 02 sensor are the same thing i think, my toxic fume light has just came on my 182 but hasnt affected running, need to get it diagnosed but working 7 days a week, can you work out if its post or pre cat lambda it its not affecting running, sorry to hi jack thread lol

RS Clio 182
im not gunna know for sure till i get it diagnosed then am i, will the diagnostics tell me which lambda sensor is bust