ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toxic Fume Light wont go away

Renaultsport Clio 172
In Jan last year the exhaust on my mint little 172 broke, so i bought a KTR Stealth exhaust and along with it a KTR Sports Cat. I am now starting wish I never. Acouple of weeks later the toxic fume waring light came on so took it back to the garage to go on the computer. There were two faults, Lamba Sensor fault and Catalystic Convertor fault. After calling K-Tec about the problem they said it could be the lamba sensor giving faultly readings so I changed both sensors, but acouple of weeks later the light came on again. On another trip to the garage computer the fault was still a Catalystic one. Another phone call to K-Tec they said they would change the cat. for a new one since it seems to be faultly. A new sports cat. on, acouple of weeks later the light comes on again, still coming up with cat. convertor fault. The garage done a emissions test and it passed. Surely it should be failing if sensor says theres a problem?! Anyway, unhappy with the light being on k-tec give me a full refund for the cat. so i could put a normal cat. back on, but i never kept the original that came off and the part being renault only, they wanted £800 plus for a new one! Unwilling to pay that much for a new cat. they offered a non-ranault part for £200, so I took that. A year on and the light is back, with the same fault, its been off for a year and now its back. Been back to renault about it and they say I will have to bite the bullet and pay £800 for a renault cat. as its out of warranty and will have to pay for another. They put it on there computer and updated the software on e.c.u. as it was running on old software and they thought it might cure the problem. That was two weeks ago and it hasnt worked, its back with the same problem. Am now sick of this problem and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and is there anyway round it? Any feed back would be much appreciated and thank you for taking time to read this story!!!
Cheers

M

mini-valver

The catalyst fault you're getting isn't actually a failed CAT. The ECU will ALWAYS show that fault code if the rear llambda gets an abnormal reading which in this case, is caused by a sports cat.

Put the sports cat back on and stop being a *****, it makes no difference to the drive of the car as the second llambda is only there to tell you if the emissions are within Renault's parameters. The reason its on again is because its a pattern part but please dont spend £800 JUST because you have an emmission light on the dash, thats ridiculous.

Clio 172
i had an emmission light when i fitted my decat and i cleared the fault code with one of the £15 code readers off ebay and its never come back on.

Renaultsport Clio 172
The catalyst fault you're getting isn't actually a failed CAT. The ECU will ALWAYS show that fault code if the rear llambda gets an abnormal reading which in this case, is caused by a sports cat.

Put the sports cat back on and stop being a *****, it makes no difference to the drive of the car as the second llambda is only there to tell you if the emissions are within Renault's parameters. The reason its on again is because its a pattern part but please dont spend £800 JUST because you have an emmission light on the dash, thats ridiculous.

Just to say, theres no way I was paying £800 for a new cat just because the lights on, that is ridiculous, I agree with you on that, I just put a post on to see if anyone had the same problem.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
If its annoying you so much buy a fault code reader and clear the fault everytime it comes on will take you 2 minutes ;) Oh and decat it while your at it :D