ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Car Options Clio 197/200 vs CTR

M2 / Golf GTI
Soooo, I have been outside of the ClioSport loop for a little while but I have promised myself to get into track days this year. I have little to no experience (other than some pathetic XBOX games) so wanting to ease myself in!

Anyway, I have a reasonable daily driver which chugs away the 40 minute commute, I'm torn between a 197/200 or FN2 Type R for a track car.

My gut feeling is to go with the 200, given I have had a 182 (10 years ago!) I would like another RS. They can be had pretty reasonably now with 200's coming in around the 5k mark, 197's for 2-3k. I'll be honest I don't want to go much more because my lack of talent might just shine through... then again I feel maybe if I spend a little more I might save some in the long run with reliability...

Does anyone else run a 200 as a track car? Insurance is less on the 200 than the FN2 but not sure about reliability... I'll be honest the 200 seems like it would be more fun.

Thoughts?

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I’ve had a Clio 182 and EP3 Type R (234bhp) as track day cars in the last few years. Wish I got a Clio 200 instead of the Civic. Civic’s require bigger budgets to get them to a decent (but faster) level.

I doubt the FN2 would have been better than the EP3 on track. Therefore out of your two options I would go for a Clio 200.

the_baron_von_richthofen

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172 Cup
From experience an FN2 is a great daily but I dont think it would be the most focused for track work.

Having never driven a 197 or 200 I'd say buy the cheaper car and have some change for track days/tuition.

Could always get a 172/182?

200 is defo more track focused and quicker with better handling. Parts are much cheaper as well. Only downside would be reliability as the Civic seem better in this aspect, but if you budget in a gearbox rebuild and cam service if not already done you will be good to go.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Clio 200 if you don't mind many gearbox rebuilds.

Fn2 is the bargain of the century at the mo and more tuneable if that's a route you want to take. I'd say out the box tho, the clios always win. It's only when you start tweaking, the civics can do much more (and the gearbox doesn't feel like it's made from lego, like the mk3 clio)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
One is a legend of the hot hatch world and famed for being one of the sweetest handling hot hatches of all time. The other is a Civic.

197 or 200, no contest in my view. If you can get a 200 Cup, then that's obviously the best one, as it has the quicker rack etc, but any of them will be fine.

On the MK2/3 thing, I've had a 172 Cup and have a 197 currently. I adored my Cup, it's probably my favourite of all the cars I've owned as I had so many laughs in it, but I'm not sure I would go back now. The 197 is a much more rounded car in my view. A quicker car on track than a MK2 too I expect.

M2 / Golf GTI
Well most of you are telling me things I have already thought about which is positive. The only thing which drew me to the Civic was the value and potential reliability. Ideally I would find a 197/200. I guess it will come down to which one has the better deal to be had. Having said that, I've just enquired on 182 on Turini's which is up for 2k and under 100k miles...

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
For track and cheap thrills, get a clio. Just a shame the box on a mk3 is so gash, maybe be better with a CAE shifter and poly mounts.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think from a shift point of view, the MK3 is better than a MK2 in my view. And the lever isn't in such a stupid place 😂 The synchro thing on the MK3 is annoying, but the 'box in the 1*2 is pretty pap too in reality. Mine used to crunch away if you drove it hard.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I think from a shift point of view, the MK3 is better than a MK2 in my view. And the lever isn't in such a stupid place 😂 The synchro thing on the MK3 is annoying, but the 'box in the 1*2 is pretty pap too in reality. Mine used to crunch away if you drove it hard.

Think I got lucky, all mine were spot on. I will say though, that the shift in the ph2 cup wasn't as nice as the shift in the ph1s I had. Dunno if they're any different.

The megane r26 was similar to the mk3 clio too, miles better with a short shift mod and poly inserts.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
For track, personally id go for a 1*2, at the end of the day, a track day is about fun and the 1*2 is by far the most adjustable chassis of the cars mentioned.
The 197/200 will be quicker sure, but there is a reason why so many people chuck in an R26 engine, the standard lump simply cant test the excellent chassis enough.
I have no experience of the FN2, but would imagine that with a bit of modification, it would be quicker (in a straight line) & more reliable than either Renault.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Think I got lucky, all mine were spot on. I will say though, that the shift in the ph2 cup wasn't as nice as the shift in the ph1s I had. Dunno if they're any different.

The megane r26 was similar to the mk3 clio too, miles better with a short shift mod and poly inserts.

What I really don't understand, and this seems to go for all R.S. models, is why the engine mounts are always so s**t 😂

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What I really don't understand, and this seems to go for all R.S. models, is why the engine mounts are always so s**t 😂

They are proper spongey! I never had a mk3 but my brother had a 200 out in Oman. I made him buy the inserts, but the fanny took them out. Felt crap without them.

Ben Cook

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 (2010)
For track and cheap thrills, get a clio. Just a shame the box on a mk3 is so gash, maybe be better with a CAE shifter and poly mounts.
Poly bush deffo helps feel but a CAE would make it worse for wear as you can race through the box quicker? I’ve always made sure to shift slower than the box will allow and never had a problem on road or track. I also change the box oil ever year so guess that helps too.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
They are proper spongey! I never had a mk3 but my brother had a 200 out in Oman. I made him buy the inserts, but the fanny took them out. Felt crap without them.

It is mental. I've had a 172, 197 and a Meg 265 and the mounts were pap on all of them. They make them so soft as standard. Funny really, as they usually make the suspension rock hard :ROFLMAO:

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Poly bush deffo helps feel but a CAE would make it worse for wear as you can race through the box quicker? I’ve always made sure to shift slower than the box will allow and never had a problem on road or track. I also change the box oil ever year so guess that helps too.

This is the key other than good maintenance. Never rush the synchromesh. The throw is reduced but the gearchange still shouldnt be rushed.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
They can't be too bad to refurb surely? £500?

Not that expensive, @NorthloopCup does a good deal, I was going to use him if I'd ever have got one. Still, it's a massive PITA and you'll always want to change the clutch and slave at the same time.

Clio 197
Beaniesport drive-in drive-out service: "Gearbox repair for crunchy syncros including new clutch and slave cylinder £795 inc vat (exchange basis)"

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not the end of the world then... now I just need to find a 197/200 for reasonable money with Recaros...

If I were to buy one I think I'd get one with a goosed box and have it done by Northloop, obvs paying the price that reflects a knackered box.

All the 4 that I test drove were crunchy as f**k so shouldn't be hard to find, lolz