ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day insurance

Clio sport 172
Hello, just wondering if people take out insurance for a track day, and if so what cost to expect? What companies would you recommend?
I've opened a couple of websites but it won't give me a quote unless I fill in all my details, and in all honesty I'm far too lazy to do that right now so just asking out of curiosity.
Thanks

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Careful filling in detailing for the comparison sites that arent big names. I did it recently for a Trader quote and got endless calls for about a week. Was painful.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I've heard if you get insurance via greenlight is easy and reasonable to add trackdays on

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Hello, just wondering if people take out insurance for a track day, and if so what cost to expect? What companies would you recommend?
I've opened a couple of websites but it won't give me a quote unless I fill in all my details, and in all honesty I'm far too lazy to do that right now so just asking out of curiosity.
Thanks
I don't usually but took my 911 to Oulton so took insurance out on it for that one day.

I mentioned it in another thread I paid £300 for one day insurance in a car worth £30k, @MarkCup mentioned that its usually £100 per £10k of value.

I'm currently looking at getting a road policy that includes a number of track days.

I'm going to try the following
Greenlight
A-plan
classic line insurance
Reis insurance

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I've got a trade policy which covers personal cars and trade cars so can't add track days but seriously considering insuring both the 182 and r26 with someone who ads track use.

Clio sport 172
I was just wondering, sorry if this is a stupid question, is it mandatory? Like it would cover me if I crash my own car, what if I damage somebody else's car or injure them? Do I need track insurance for that or would my road insurance policy cover that?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I was just wondering, sorry if this is a stupid question, is it mandatory? Like it would cover me if I crash my own car, what if I damage somebody else's car or injure them? Do I need track insurance for that or would my road insurance policy cover that?
It’s not mandatory. If you do get track insurance I’m sure it only covers your own car.

Thats the risk of taking a car on track uninsured, if you crash you pay for the repairs.

how expensive is your car?

4GTS/7.5R/182
I don't usually but took my 911 to Oulton so took insurance out on it for that one day.

I mentioned it in another thread I paid £300 for one day insurance in a car worth £30k, @MarkCup mentioned that its usually £100 per £10k of value.

I'm currently looking at getting a road policy that includes a number of track days.

I'm going to try the following
Greenlight
A-plan
classic line insurance
Reis insurance
My road policy with Classic Line cost £373 for the year (997 GTS with agreed valuation at 50k) and includes 6 UK trackdays and roadside assistance (home, UK and Europe). The caveats with this insurer are that you need to garage the car and are limited to 5k miles per year (I'm on 3k hence the low premium). Excess is £250 for road and 10% for track.

They could insure my 182 but the premium was the same as the 911 and no trackdays included, you then need to pay £55 per day on top, so I decided to go elsewhere and not cover it for track this year.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
My road policy with Classic Line cost £373 for the year (997 GTS with agreed valuation at 50k) and includes 6 UK trackdays and roadside assistance (home, UK and Europe). The caveats with this insurer are that you need to garage the car and are limited to 5k miles per year (I'm on 3k hence the low premium). Excess is £250 for road and 10% for track.

They could insure my 182 but the premium was the same as the 911 and no trackdays included, you then need to pay £55 per day on top, so I decided to go elsewhere and not cover it for track this year.
Hope I can get similar for my 911. It’s garaged and so far I’ve covered 7k in two years.

having the option to do the odd track day would be great.

Clio sport 172
It’s not mandatory. If you do get track insurance I’m sure it only covers your own car.

Thats the risk of taking a car on track uninsured, if you crash you pay for the repairs.

how expensive is your car?
So if I damage somebody else's car, I pay for their repairs but I don't need to be covered by insurance?
My car is not very expensive, but I'm a student on budget 😩 car was bought for 18 hundred, it has been slightly modified but no big track modifications.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
So if I damage somebody else's car, I pay for their repairs but I don't need to be covered by insurance?
My car is not very expensive, but I'm a student on budget 😩 car was bought for 18 hundred, it has been slightly modified but no big track modifications.
no if you crash into someone else's car they pay for the repairs. If they were worried about that they should get their own track day insurance.

Unless you (or they) drive like a complete muppet it's unlikely you'll hit anyone.

Clio sport 172
no if you crash into someone else's car they pay for the repairs. If they were worried about that they should get their own track day insurance.

Unless you (or they) drive like a complete muppet it's unlikely you'll hit anyone.
Hahah, so better than normal road driving 😅

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi.
If you need any help with track day insurance then please feel free to give us a try if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S

Did you ring for your quote with classic line or just do it online

4GTS/7.5R/182
Did you ring for your quote with classic line or just do it online
I filled in the form online some evening but at the end got a "we cannot provide you an online quote". Next morning bang on 9am someone rang back though and provided a quote. Also tried Locktons (nearly twice the premium) and Morrisons (no track day cover at this moment), all online as it's easier to provide the info.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I filled in the form online some evening but at the end got a "we cannot provide you an online quote". Next morning bang on 9am someone rang back though and provided a quote. Also tried Locktons (nearly twice the premium) and Morrisons (no track day cover at this moment), all online as it's easier to provide the info.
tried to get a quote yesterday and I had the same as you, then this morning someone rung me.

£522
5k miles per year (I do less in it)
includes 6 UK track days a year
includes UK and European breakdown cover

only reason I suspect my quote being higher than yours is down to my postcode. You don't live in a low risk postcode area do you like north Yorkshire?

4GTS/7.5R/182
tried to get a quote yesterday and I had the same as you, then this morning someone rung me.

£522
5k miles per year (I do less in it)
includes 6 UK track days a year
includes UK and European breakdown cover

only reason I suspect my quote being higher than yours is down to my postcode. You don't live in a low risk postcode area do you like north Yorkshire?
When I asked about the price impact of mileage as a guideline they told me there usually wasn't much difference between 2k and 3k, but from 3k to 5k there'd be a larger jump - that might be why your premium is higher.

Based near Cambridge but not sure about postcode risk, some of that stuff is down to statistics but insurance premiums are a dark art that is difficult to rationalise sometimes as so much is taken into consideration. I can tell you that I used to pay over 3x more in London so postcode definitely matters!

Clio sport 172
When I asked about the price impact of mileage as a guideline they told me there usually wasn't much difference between 2k and 3k, but from 3k to 5k there'd be a larger jump - that might be why your premium is higher.

Based near Cambridge but not sure about postcode risk, some of that stuff is down to statistics but insurance premiums are a dark art that is difficult to rationalise sometimes as so much is taken into consideration. I can tell you that I used to pay over 3x more in London so postcode definitely matters!
My premium went down over £200 when I moved to Ayrshire from Glasgow. I don't think I could ever afford to insure a car in England 😅