ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Focused Coilovers/Suspension

Hi guys,

Currently trying to decide on what suspension to get for my dedicated track car. Budget of a £1k. Currently on my list are:

AST 4100
GAZ Golds
AVO GTX

And maybe the BC Racing DS Series although i would prefer a FULL coilover setup.

Anyone got any suggestions or experience with the above kits ?

I run ast 4100s with 110n rear and 90n fronts, just had the rears fully serviced and valved for the springs. They are very smooth and I have no trouble using them on the road, in fact they are a better ride than my dads ford focus, including mine has their top mounts as well.. They really are worth the money

I did have the rear gaz golds on mine for a bit with eibach springs up front, the balance was okay, their 300lb track day spring rate is proper soft though, dedicated track car at least 500lb I would say for them, I had to wind them up so it had tons of pre load but they were too bouncy, really need to be valved and sprung correctly.

dan's cast offs.
Earlier this year, was on a pair of three way adjustable so not cheap!!

Bent like a motorbike fork that's hit something, even had a link it was that bent BUT no other suspension damage, everything else was straight on the car.

AST 4100 all day. There's a set in the FS section that have just been rebuilt and come with AST top mounts if I remember correctly, he only wants £850!

I used these on road and track and can confirm they are brilliant! Got vids of them in action if you're interested.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have Gaz golds 525lb front and 400lb rear and they are really good for the money, I’m pleased with them for the 4/5 trackdays a year.
I think it is relatively cheap rebuild from Gaz as well if you need it.
On the road they are more comfy than the cook sports I had on before.

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had Gaz Gold for nearly 3 years with no issues apart from when I got them the gaz gold top mounts didn’t work with the gaz gold coilover! Bizarre! Changed to PMS top mounts with no issues. Only paid £800 (inc top mounts) brand new. I like cutting the apex, riding the curbs etc etc. Still no issues

AST will be the popular choice and for good reason. Gaz isn’t a bad choice.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Its been a while but I believe the 5100 use a larger diameter shaft which is stronger. Its better for when you use sticky tyres and like bumping apex kerbs

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Its been a while but I believe the 5100 use a larger diameter shaft which is stronger. Its better for when you use sticky tyres and like bumping apex kerbs

Yeah and they're an inverted damper too. Still 1 way adjustable same as the 4100 though.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
5100's will require servicing more frequently than 4100's by the nature of their inverted damper design.

Simon@ASTUK

ClioSport Trader
  BMW E30 M3
There are more parts to consider in the 5100 than the 4100, however servicing intervals would depend on the application. If someone is always on the black stuff driving at the back round Silverstone for x amount of hours it's different to launching sausage curbs at Knockhill for the same amount of hours.

The 4100 has a 22mm shaft, which for a non inverted damper is very thick. The 5100 is a stronger damper by nature of being inverted.

Simon @ AST Suspension UK

OsEtz40.jpg