ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tripods - talk to me!

Looking for a full-sized tripod to form part of my xmas present / get back into photography. Budgeting around about £40. Any recommendations?

Ian

Focus TDCi
The Red Snapper ones get a lot of good feedback iirc. I have a Manfrotto 055CL or something like that, which I paid Jord ~£60 for secondhand. It's extremely sturdy, but could do with a different head, it's a bit cumbersome. I'd recommend Manfrotto in general though, although not for £40.

koi

Audi S1
The Red Snapper ones get a lot of good feedback iirc. I have a Manfrotto 055CL or something like that, which I paid Jord ~£60 for secondhand. It's extremely sturdy, but could do with a different head, it's a bit cumbersome. I'd recommend Manfrotto in general though, although not for £40.

Manfrotto's are nice but pricey so you got a good deal there :D

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Paid 35 for mine fron jessops. Why people spend hundreds on a tripod il never know. As long as it holds the camera still whats the fricking big deal :cool:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Manfrotto's are nice but pricey so you got a good deal there :D

Still got the original price ticket on it lol, was a bit of a bargain aye. Think there's a guy on Talk Photography that sells the Red Snapper tripods, might be mistaken though.

Paid 35 for mine fron jessops. Why people spend hundreds on a tripod il never know. As long as it holds the camera still whats the fricking big deal :cool:

Wait til you buy a heavy lens lol. Sometimes it's down to absolutely miniscule margins of error to make or break a photo and that extra bit of sturdyness comes in useful, especially at night with 30second+ exposures and it's a bit windy. Admittedly 90% of the time it doesn't really matter though! :)

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Still got the original price ticket on it lol, was a bit of a bargain aye. Think there's a guy on Talk Photography that sells the Red Snapper tripods, might be mistaken though.

Wait til you buy a heavy lens lol. Sometimes it's down to absolutely miniscule margins of error to make or break a photo and that extra bit of sturdyness comes in useful, especially at night with 30second+ exposures and it's a bit windy. Admittedly 90% of the time it doesn't really matter though! :)

+1...try taking 2 second exposure shots, outdoors, with a 200mm lens and battery grip on a jessops special....in wind...:rasp:...Manfrotto FTW...

Bus w**ker
I loved my Manfrotto...until it broke. Checked it out and it was cheap and nasty build quality, not what I expected from a £120+ tripod. Now I've just got a 500D I'll be treating it to a RedSnapper as they get good reviews for a decent price.

koi

Audi S1
  Cupra
Just check the weight rating of the tripod that you are getting. I had an old Jessops one and it could just about handle my 40D with the 24-105 on the front but only if everything was a tight as you could make it. The only way to take a steady shot with it was to use the self timer on the camera and let the thing settle for a couple of seconds before the shutter opened.

As I dropped the old one and smashed the head off, I have just treated myself to a Manfrotto 055 and it is a world apart.