ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twilight Photography

Citroen DS3 DSport
Hi, hopefully I can gain some advice on how best to approach photography during twilight hours.

Driving home late last night the sky was looking wonderful and the silhouettes of aircraft on approach to Edinburgh Airport looked great. I'd have loved to capture stills of this but my photography knowledge is severely lacking and I'd not know where to start. I took one shot of the landscape and lighting, minus an aircraft, to give you an idea of what I'm looking for and at which time of day. This was captured on my TZ7 which I'm sure will not be up to the job but I do own a Sony H9 bridge camera which does have many manual mode options available.

All advice on how to achieve the desired end result greatly appreciated.

3520414484_9af3082536.jpg

I get the impression he is asking how to take that photo with a crisp silhouette of a moving aircraft in it...

Citroen DS3 DSport
I get the impression he is asking how to take that photo with a crisp silhouette of a moving aircraft in it...

Indeed :) It's one thing taking a static landscape but I've no idea how to do the same but clearly capture a rather large moving aircraft at the same time.

mk 1 clio 1.9d
twilight/night photography i always shoot in iso 100 gives a really clear picture, you aperature will vary depending on the amout of light and light pollution (street lights) for this particular shot i would shoot on around f6.3 iso 100 on the bulb option 30second exsposures should be enough. its all about trial and error.
if you dont mind having a look at my work
www.flickr.com/xandibarlowx

hopefully the info i have gave you will be of use to you.
:)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
do you mean something like this (courtessy of flickr)

2942371227_e4ff7ff097_o.jpg

if so then you have to use a tripod as you wont be taking a long exposure shot (but could still help reduce camera shake if using a large zoom, depends how steady your hands are). i would shoot on aperture priority, set the aperture on its largest setting (f4 etc) and then increase the iso as needed, remember that in order the for the plane to be sharp without panning with it (which you dont want to do as it will blur the background) then you will probably need to be shooting at speeds of 1/180 or faster. If you shoot with the camera in a static position with a slower shutter speed then the plane will become blurred