ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo RS to Clio RS

Hi, have owned my Twingo RS for 4 years as a second car which I love. I have been thinking recently about changing for a clio. Has anybody done this, just wanted peoples thoughts. I have fitted 15" speedlines, bucket seat. Coilovers and removed the rear seats. I owned a Elise for 4 years prior to this, so i dont mind loud and a bit sh..ty made cars,
Looking at the clio 200 or maybe a trophy?
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20200410_144049.jpg
    20200410_144049.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 152

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've owned both various times.

I wouldn't bother going to a MK2 172/182/trophy. I found the 133 more fun when you were on it, and the 2.0 a nicer car to drive every day, but they are still uncompromised and not very nice to live with so a bit pointless lol.

A 197/200 is a different drive, revs higher, shorter geared, hugely more capable chassis, some complain they can feel a bit less raw than a 182 when you jump back to back although I never felt that, but coming from a 133 you should enjoy the extra grunt.

Only thing that puts me off the 197/200 is the running costs are considerably higher, poor mpg, expensive when the box needs a rebuild, exhaust manifold Flexi failure and front hubs. BUT I wouldn't let that put me off buying one, just worth keeping in mind

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading up about gearbox problems and the cost to fix!
My Twingo has been really cheap to run. replaced a few bushes. Just had it motd and no advisories. Really like the look of the yellow clio 200 I think they look amazing.
Thanks again.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
All great cars. I prefer the mk2 clio over the mk3 but finding a tight and tidy one now won't be easy. mk3 does look smart though in 200 guise, especially with speedline wheels and recaro seats.

If you want more power and beans, get a clio. I personally love the Twingo and miss mine, but they are left behind in terms of straight line performance by clios. But then it's a lot more individual, cheaper to run and repair (tax, tyres, insurance).

What coilovers are you using on the twingo?

Hi, thanks for the replies I have bilstein coilovers fitted. The rears are on the lowest setting, with the rear seats out its not really low but I like it. I still have the original alloys which look really nice but on the 15s it drives ace over bumps etc. If I do sell it I know I will miss it so I just want to make sure I swap it for the right car for me.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Hi, thanks for the replies I have bilstein coilovers fitted. The rears are on the lowest setting, with the rear seats out its not really low but I like it. I still have the original alloys which look really nice but on the 15s it drives ace over bumps etc. If I do sell it I know I will miss it so I just want to make sure I swap it for the right car for me.

I had 16s on mine. Didn't like the 17s. Mine had cup shocks too it was/is horrendous down a bumpy road! Wanted some bilsteins to settle it, was great around knockhill tho

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Loving the speedlines @lee-bee. Going off peoples experience of getting rid of there Twingo they always regret it! You could always fit a bigger engine (bennie sport) in the Twingo or go cams ect. I went the cams ect route in mine and its nothing like driving a standard 133 now.

I bought some bilstein B14 or 16 cant remember now, but I like them. The ride is no worse than on standard. The small wheels do help though. I do love it so just want to swap it for the right car! Speedlines and recaros are a must.

I do think 16s might be better as my sidewalls feels really soft when changing direction quick. Or it may be my tyres are not that good.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Where did you get cams etc fitted and setup. It is something I have been thinking about too.
Got it done by a motorsport prep company but not happy with there service or mapping tbh as it needs mapping again.
Efi would probably be the best to do the work going off there the clio lads go.
I have lots of weight out of mine also so that probably helps mine go down the road a bit faster lol.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Can't wait to pick my twingo up. Gonna be very different compared to my 220 Trophy, although probably not much slower.
Never been in a MK3 so can't comment on them

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
A least another 3 week wait :confused:. It looks like an epic little car from the build thread.
I know mate :( pain in the arse!
Yeah he's put a lot of time and effort into it. Will be a nice little toy I think. I've not done a track day for over a year, and I don't fancy tracking the 220 too much so the twingo will be perfect for some cheap track fun