ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Two Weeks of VaVaVoom...

VaVa

Well its been two weeks since my172 was delivered, and I tought Id share with you some of my thoughts and impressions of the car so far.....

LIKES (in no particular order)

1. Seats- Plush, comfy and good support. And leather.

2. Xenons - Fantastic visibility. Would not have another car without them.

3. Performance - Torque-a-plenty, ballistic hold-on-tight kind of shove in the arse over 5k rpm... Lovely!!

4. Handling - Feels poised and solid on the open road, minimum body roll, feels really chuckable. Havent had much chance to push it yet.

5. Cruise Control - Its useless really.. but its a good toy.. my girlfriend thinks there is literally some kind of magic force at work.!!... Bless.

6. Automatic lights - Not exactly the invention of the century, but one less thing to worry about.

7. The Colour - Its silver. I know, Silvers common. But I love the fact that even in all this sh*tty weather (technical term), it still looks clean and sparkly!

8. Engine note - Ok, so its never going to win any prizes for aural satisfaction, but it just sounds so eager to rev. And thats why I like it.

9. Image - Understated. Its a Renault Clio one of my friends commented. Ill show your 318 what a Renault Clio can do pal. He now knows the meaning of VaVaVoom!!. I love the fact that its practically anonymous amongst other traffic, but you still get the knowing nod and the sheepish point from fellow car lovers who, as a Cup-driving friend of mine so aptly put, "..Know the score.."

DISLIKES (again in no particular order)

1. Seats - The drivers seat is just too high, even at the lowest setting.

2. Xenons - Are too good. I get flashed by every other car I pass at night because my lights are dazzling them

3. Performance - Not much I dont like. It would be better if the power was a bit more accessible i.e. a bit lower down the rev range, but I guess half the fun is extracting that power!!

4. Handling - The rear end has a tendency to go light on tight turns, but once the roads dry up a bit, hopefully thats something I can begin to have fun with.!! I dont know if other drivers have noticed this, but at high speeds on less than perfect roads, it feels a little skittish and not as stable as I would have hoped.

5. Speed limiter - Its part of the cruise control system, and whilst the idea is good ( set it to the speed limit, and you car wont go any faster unless you kick down) it can be embarrasing. I had the limiter on through a 30 and came to a junction onto a national speed limit road. I booted out of the junction to get out of the way of an oncoming car and hit the brick wall that is the speed limiter!!

6. Automatic Windscreen Wipers - Why oh why can you not disable them and use the sensitivity control for a variable intermittent application???Much more practical. Auto Wipers are cool, but they seem to have a mind of thier own!!!!

7. The Colour - As above. Common as muck. And the Cup blue is sooo much nicer. Ah well cant have it all.

8. Engine - It ticks over like a bag of nails. Why? Is that a feature? Unacceptable really.

9. Image - As mentioned above.Its a Renault. Its French. It rattles. Accept It. Well why the hell should I??. If they can design windscreen wipers that work on thier own, and lights that do too, surely they could take some time out to stop the dashboard rattling!!?!! Hardly rocket science!!

On the whole Im chuffed to bits with my little Renault, and cant wait for some cold, dry and sunny spring mornings to get out for a proper blast!! When you read this forum a lot, as I do, you tend only to read the negative things from the world of Clios. Its easy to forget that despite its few faults, your driving a cracking little motor and should be proud of it!!!

Thanks for reading ( if you got this far!!)

Lager

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

8. Engine - It ticks over like a bag of nails. Why? Is that a feature? Unacceptable really.

If you mean its sounds lumpy, thats normal.. i think its due to the mildly wild cams. (the same things that give that kick of torque at 4000 + rpm)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 12 December 2003

If you mean its sounds lumpy, thats normal.. i think its due to the mildly wild cams. (the same things that give that kick of torque at 4000 + rpm)
Thats what I thought, but doesnt the 172 have some kind of crude VVT? as in not variable.?? I though it was there to prevent a lumpy tickover???

6. Automatic Windscreen Wipers - Why oh why can you not disable them and use the sensitivity control for a variable intermittent application???Much more practical. Auto Wipers are cool, but they seem to have a mind of thier own!!!!

You can turn them off mate, I dunno how because ive never felt the need to disable them they work really well for me so far. Anyway flick through your manual and it will show you how to disable them.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by TheRonin_172 on 12 December 2003

You can turn them off mate, I dunno how because ive never felt the need to disable them they work really well for me so far. Anyway flick through your manual and it will show you how to disable them.
I cant find anything the manual?? It reads as though youve got automatic or intermittent. Theres no mention of intermittent for vehicles fitted with automatic wipers.

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 12 December 2003

snap, Im midly embarrassed at the sound of my car on tick over, it sounds awful!!! and its NEW!!!
Thought it was just mine! glad to hear they all sound like this! ive only had mine 3 weeks and was getting worried that ive been hurting in already!

Just think what these things are gona sound like in a few years time! i dread to think!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by t_sheen on 12 December 2003

snap, Im midly embarrassed at the sound of my car on tick over, it sounds awful!!! and its NEW!!!
Thought it was just mine! glad to hear they all sound like this! ive only had mine 3 weeks and was getting worried that ive been hurting in already!

Just think what these things are gona sound like in a few years time! i dread to think!
Shocking really. Mine sounds like it might stall at any given moment once its warm. And sometimes it clunks when I select first gear aswell....

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

WHY ??? i love the rough idle of my car, give it a real sporty engine sound.. there is a big difference between a car that misfires and a car with wild cams.

Providing nothing brakes the engine should sound exactly the same..

VaVa

WHY ??? i love the rough idle of my car, give it a real sporty engine sound.. there is a big difference between a car that misfires and a car with wild cams.

Providing nothing brakes the engine should sound exactly the same..
See your point. Maybe an aftermarket exhaust would help, it wouldnt tick over any smoother, but it would have a much deeper rumble to it, thus sounding really sporty ala racing cams!! (ish)

Ziel Nurburgring

I can live with the Tick over, just tell people its a tuned to with in an inch of its life and if they want ruff, jump in and give it to em over 4000rpms. Im sure Honda TRs and other hard tuned NA engines sound the same (probably wrong).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

proper rally sl*g wrc style cars idle at about 3000rpm, otherwise they will stall.. nuff said.

xenons- mmmm... i wish, my 1.2 is terible on the motorway, unless i constanly flick on and off the full beam.

colour- the 172 silver does look nice tho, see one every morning on my way to work

rattles- on going problem, ive spent a lot of time and money taking mine apart and sound deadening, but still the sunroof rattles after 4 attempts from the warranty guys!

but, i love the car, why?! i dont know!

And sometimes it clunks when I select first gear aswell....

apparently this is a long term reno problem that they know about but cant be arsed to fix! mine does the same!!!

VaVa

And sometimes it clunks when I select first gear aswell....

apparently this is a long term reno problem that they know about but cant be arsed to fix! mine does the same!!!
Grrrr @ Renault Still, its nothing major. All of the little niggles are forgotten when you give it some beans though, eh?!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 12 December 2003

Thats what I thought, but doesnt the 172 have some kind of crude VVT? as in not variable.?? I though it was there to prevent a lumpy tickover???
it has a simple two position variable valve timing system that works between 1300 and 4500 rpm and only on full throttle.doesnt affect tickover at all.

2012 WRX Waggon

Lager - had mine comin up for a year now - just wait till summer!!!!:D.

Iceberg Silver is by far the nicest 172 colour - IMHO of course!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 13 December 2003

Lager - had mine comin up for a year now - just wait till summer!!!!:D.

Iceberg Silver is by far the nicest 172 colour - IMHO of course!!
Yeah, the wet weathers getting me down mate, hence

<<<< driving miss daisy!!

I live out in the sticks, and the roads around me are piss poor, so Im tip-toeing everywhere, but Ive still had the traction control light blinking at me a few times!!!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 12 December 2003

it has a simple two position variable valve timing system that works between 1300 and 4500 rpm and only on full throttle.doesnt affect tickover at all.
Interesting. How come it is so lumpy at tickover then? Is it purely down to the profile of the cams? Dont know if the two are connected, but my girlfriends 03 1.2 16v Dynamique is exactly the same.

As for the windscreen wipers I dont think you can switch them off. It is only the automatic headlights you can deactivate!

But you are right I have just spent the last week thinking about getting rid. But on the way back from a vw/honda dealer last night having a blast with a 1.8turbo audi a3 and a golf gti at the same time let me know how quick our babys are!! an our spec is just great for the money we pay. So you will be all pleased to know I am back on the clean and narrow and sticking with it.

Caus its bloddy good fun!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I think people get confused between people wanting to "disable" or "turn off" the automatic wipers, the situtation is:

You can turn off the wipers by putting them to the top position.

You cannot disable the automatic wipers like the automatic headlights, you can only turn them off. This is CRAP, god only knows why renault decided to not add a *disabled* feature which would revert the "automatic mode" to "intermittent" mode - with the sensitivity band being used to alter the sweep time.

Adrian

251bhp Skoda Fabia vRS

3. Performance - Not much I dont like. It would be better if the power was a bit more accessible i.e. a bit lower down the rev range, but I guess half the fun is extracting that power!!
The 172s ECU is set up to be economical for driving round town (boring I know) which means less torque lower down the rev range.

When i got my 172 i felt it was quite slow down at the lower end of the revs. This is because whenever i was just driving normally and some boy racer in his Saxo VTR virtually touched my back bumper, i would push hard down on the accelerator but not leave him as fast as i wanted to.

This was my own fault though. Now i was driving a fast feeling car i was being lazy and not dropping down a gear when i should have. Once i started dropping down a gear (or even two!) i was totally impressed with the engine in the 172. It absolutely loves to be revved.

If you feel you want to accelerate a bit quicker, then make sure you choose the right gear. If you do, its power will blow you away!;)

53 plate 172

I too wondered what all the fuss was about when running my car in, but once I went over 4000 revs I soon realised !!

Roll on the summer....................:D