ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading front & fitting rear speakers

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Afternoon CS,

Apparently yesterday I managed to ruin my speakers :anguished: Dunno what's wrong but they're definitely shagged. I was looking at replacing them at some stage but I suppose now is probably the best time to do it! They're just the original factory ones so nothing special anyway.

I've upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer DEH-X5700BT anyway as the previous aftermarket one seemed to have less features than the standard one oddly but aside from that I know literally zero about car audio. I found a direct replacement from Pioneer - they do a set called the TS-Q131C that's apparently a direct fit which is fine, but what about rears? I don't have any at the moment so I presume I'd have to run the wiring for them anyway but as long as they're the right size, they're fine I would guess?

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination so I don't want to spend mega money on this, plus it's a runaround for delivering pizzas in anyway. As long as I've got music then I'm happy.

Either way, I'm going mental without music at work!

Cheers :up:

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Well aren't you selling the car soon anyway? That's why I suggested it, pointless spending money on speakers when you're going to sell soon.

Clio 172 Cup
Advice I got from a professional audio place was that it's not really worth replacing the rears unless they're physically damaged.
Pioneers you mentioned are apparently a bit better than standard but not loads, but for ease of use they're worth looking at as you can just swap them over.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Well aren't you selling the car soon anyway? That's why I suggested it, pointless spending money on speakers when you're going to sell soon.

I was considering upgrading to a 3 series or similar but I wasn't selling the car, it was going to my missus when she passes her test which may not be until August/September time anyway, so I still need new speakers. I wouldn't get a huge amount for it and it's still low miles for its age (currently on 45k on a 53 plate so averaged approx 3800 miles a year, and that includes the 4 months of Domino's abuse @ 1.5k-ish a month I've put on it) and it's mechanically solid barring a minor misfire so it makes sense to keep it. That and it's cheap for her to insure as well.

Advice I got from a professional audio place was that it's not really worth replacing the rears unless they're physically damaged.
Pioneers you mentioned are apparently a bit better than standard but not loads, but for ease of use they're worth looking at as you can just swap them over.

I don't have rear speakers anyway so bit hard to damage them! :smile: I'll just leave them for now, not worth the hassle of running the wiring as I know I don't have it pre-laid from when I swapped the HU over. I've bought the ones I mentioned purely for the ease of swapping over anyway - do you need to remove the door cards or not, do you know? Apparently you do from other places on the web. :weary:

Clio 172 Cup
From what I understand (having not actually done it myself) you just need to pop the speaker covers off, unscrew the speakers and screw the new ones in after connecting the wires. No need to remove the whole door card.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
As above. Easiest thing in the world to change.

@AlexW has a car in for breaking - I'd bet the speakers are still in that... Just swap out the OEM ones. No need for anything else IMO. Put a sub in the boot and cut the bass (HPF+LPF on the HU) to the fronts if you want a bit more punch.