ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrading my 1.2

Campus Sport 1.2
Hi all!

Recently acquired my first full time job and am looking to reinvest my earnings into making my car more appealing to me.
I'm what some would say a 'car noob', i can name the makes and models and take a stab and the engine size and thats about it.
Im looking for help as to what you can do to make a clio quicker without replacing the engine, although that is an option.
Literally anything, spark plugs, air filters, remapping etc... (this was literally I could name)

Also looking to upgrade the look of my car ie, lowering, new wheels, dashboard lights etc but am unsure about how to go about this, as there is no way I could do these myself.

Any help/criticism is much appreciated, I could include before and after pictures if I hear some great ideas from this thread.

Thanks a lot!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As soon as you start changing wheels and lowering it your insurance will go up.

Best to leave it as is, save up and build up your ncb.

Campus Sport 1.2
As soon as you start changing wheels and lowering it your insurance will go up.

Best to leave it as is, save up and build up your ncb.

Been looking at 1.6 clios and 1.8 corsas, this was just something in the mean time until I could get one of these.
Thanks for the advice though!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
We have all been there mate, when I started driving I had a MK1 1.1 fiesta.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
TBF at 18 you're doing well having a car and insurance. I'd just put some decent speakers in to enjoy the tunes a bit more and leave it be. And then when your insurance starts to drop get something a bit quicker.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Without appearing patronising, take the previous advice, learn to drive what you've got(ie accumulate experience which will prove valuable once you step into a more powerful car when your insurance company deems you ready to do so).In the meantime, when your tyres need replacing buy the best you can in terms of wet braking performance(Auto Express do an annual review), and that will improve your car no end, even though it won't be anything to show off about in the pub carpark.
If you want a bit of excitement, enter your car in an autosolo(just Google BTDRA) or two, initially you'll soon realise how much you still have to learn about vehicle handling but you will learn it safely and quickly from autosolos. Your car is ideal for them,as it is, incidentally( NB you are not allowed to use List 1b tyres but they would not meet the best wet braking criteria anyway).

Clio 172
There are so many threads like this one all with the same advice, and that's because its good advice! If you have the itch to tinker with your car and want to do something worth while, spend time learning to take it apart yourself. You have said "there is no way I could do these myself." But of course you can! Most people on this forum DIY our own cars and we have all had to learn somewhere along the way.

Buy a haynes manual, a basic set of tools, and some service bits like oils and filters and then get under the bonnet and dive in! See if any friends can help teach you or if there are any local members who can offer support. Not only will you be learning how to maintain your own cars, you will get a sense of achievement, be doing something worthwhile and not wasting your money on induction kits and best of all, you will learn the best way to make improvements finding out what is worth upgrading and what isn't.

Then when you have saved up enough cash, buy something that offers a better base! If you love the Clio, get a 1*2 for a couple of grand and take a hit on the insurance, if you want something cheap to insure and a barrel of laughs look at 106 rallye's (1.3 or 1.6 8v engines from standard cheap to insure, run and fix plus they handle amazing!!) or a 1.6/1.8 Mazda MX5 for the convertible rear wheel drive lolz. I had all these cars when i was between 18 and 21 and i learnt LOADS from working on them.

Listening to the above "save your money and buy something better" is the best advice you will get. When you look back you will realise that simply teaching yourself basic maintenance on the 1.2 rather than forking out for silly mods, means you can enjoy your bigger/better/classier new car more!

Jack

Listerine & Poledo
Leave your Clio alone.

Leave it alone

I'm serious
chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

Seriously, there are far better things to waste your money on than a generic french shopping hatchback. You'll never make it fast, or look OMGZZ! (well, not without massive piles of cash to burn), so just accept it for what it is. It's not the cars fault, don't go hating on it ;)

2002 clio 172
NNo point trying to make a 1.2 any different than standard. It'll look stupid and you'll still get beaten if you try racing someone. Also mods will prob make your insurance higher than it would be for a 172 anyway! I had a 1.2 till I was 30 cos of bans and s**t on my licence. Nothing to be ashamed of. Your time to own something more powerful will come.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Even in a 172 or 182 you'll most likely get annihilated up your local dual carriageway these days. So the lack of performance is pretty irrelevant fir everyday driving. Clean licence and no accidents is what you need to aim for. Good advice so far. Especially the autosolos. They are a good crack. Class winner when i went was a stripped out 1.2 nova with no handbrake button, a knob on the steering wheel and a grey haired legend at the wheel. I got 3rd in class in a Toyota IQ. No handbrake turns required! Decide what you want from your cars and save for it. I started farting around with my 1.4 Peugeot 306. Learnt a lot but it was still poo :)

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Was also going to suggest this. Spend your money on cleaning gear and get it looking tidy, then the cleaning gear can be used on future cars :)

Always seen first cars as a stepping stone.

Treat them well & you shouldn't lose much money on it. Equally it should sell easily. So step away from Halfrauds.

Campus Sport 1.2
There are so many threads like this one all with the same advice, and that's because its good advice! If you have the itch to tinker with your car and want to do something worth while, spend time learning to take it apart yourself. You have said "there is no way I could do these myself." But of course you can! Most people on this forum DIY our own cars and we have all had to learn somewhere along the way.

Buy a haynes manual, a basic set of tools, and some service bits like oils and filters and then get under the bonnet and dive in! See if any friends can help teach you or if there are any local members who can offer support. Not only will you be learning how to maintain your own cars, you will get a sense of achievement, be doing something worthwhile and not wasting your money on induction kits and best of all, you will learn the best way to make improvements finding out what is worth upgrading and what isn't.

Then when you have saved up enough cash, buy something that offers a better base! If you love the Clio, get a 1*2 for a couple of grand and take a hit on the insurance, if you want something cheap to insure and a barrel of laughs look at 106 rallye's (1.3 or 1.6 8v engines from standard cheap to insure, run and fix plus they handle amazing!!) or a 1.6/1.8 Mazda MX5 for the convertible rear wheel drive lolz. I had all these cars when i was between 18 and 21 and i learnt LOADS from working on them.

Listening to the above "save your money and buy something better" is the best advice you will get. When you look back you will realise that simply teaching yourself basic maintenance on the 1.2 rather than forking out for silly mods, means you can enjoy your bigger/better/classier new car more!

Jack

this is probably the best advice I've had so thanks a lot! I truly wouldn't know where to start! What to look at first, what to change etc..

Clio 172
this is probably the best advice I've had so thanks a lot! I truly wouldn't know where to start! What to look at first, what to change etc..

Oil and oil filer. Air filter and spark plugs would be a good starting point. Giving the car a service. The parts shouldn't be too much for a 1.2 either. If you go into CarParts4less.com and put in your reg, you can order the bits from there that suit your car. You would just need to find out what oil is best for your car and buy the correct amount then.

Trust me, it's extremely easy work to do and once you have done it you will be questioning why you ever paid someone else to do it!

Jack

Campus Sport 1.2
I was halfway through my second year insurance, I took the policy out at £900 originally for my 1.2 16v then when I switched to my 182 I had to pay an extra £800. That's with 0 years ncb and a 50/50 accident

Where you on a multicar policy? I'm still in amazement!

Campus Sport 1.2
Oil and oil filer. Air filter and spark plugs would be a good starting point. Giving the car a service. The parts shouldn't be too much for a 1.2 either. If you go into CarParts4less.com and put in your reg, you can order the bits from there that suit your car. You would just need to find out what oil is best for your car and buy the correct amount then.

Trust me, it's extremely easy work to do and once you have done it you will be questioning why you ever paid someone else to do it!

Jack

Thankyou, will get on this as soon as I can! I assume this is with the help of a Haynes manual?

Clio 172
Thankyou, will get on this as soon as I can! I assume this is with the help of a Haynes manual?

Yep. Have a friend around who know what they are doing as well is advisable or at least having another person with you to Lear with and double check if you are reading the instructions right! I can't be held responsible for anything that goes wrong! ;) haha.

Campus Sport 1.2
Yep. Have a friend around who know what they are doing as well is advisable or at least having another person with you to Lear with and double check if you are reading the instructions right! I can't be held responsible for anything that goes wrong! ;) haha.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a Haynes manual for a campus 2006. Very annoying! Any other suggestions?
Nevermind, found one, brilliant!

Listerine & Poledo
I'm extremely jealous, I'd kill in a 182 come december!

If you've only just started driving, I'd say the above would be more accurate.

Also, a 2006 campus is pretty much the same as every other 2nd-gen clio, so the books for earlier mk.2s should be fine.

RB182cup&golf gti
Good advice given - enjoy the car, look after it and save your pennies for a nicer car. Nothing wrong with wanting to make your car individual as we've all been your age and done it and realised years later that's it's a waste of money/effort lol!