ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using different profile tyres?

clio 172 cup
Out of interest would there be any adverse affects if you were to fit tyres with a higher profile on the back than the tyres on the front?

CLIO Iceberg 172
im sure as long as they are the same across the axel then at least its legal, but its a big no no in the handling dept, you will get diffrent grip and wear rates and the car would end up taking more weight on the front tyres as your lifting the back the weight would push down more on the front, again affecting the handling.
i think width wise you would be fine i.e 205 on back and 195 on the front but if you was to take say 45 on the front and then 55 or 60's on the back, it would be an absolute nightmare of a car to drive, all your understear and overstear would greatly be increased,
somone want to back me up here?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Width wise is no issues, I have 195/45/16 fronts and 205/45/16 rears. But it's personal preference, I prefer it because it feels much more stable through longer bends but does cause a bit of understeer when really pushing it round tighter corners like roundabouts.

With regards to the back being higher, I found raising the back slightly more than the front reduced understeer for me.

Why would you want to have a larger profile on the rear though? To have a bit of a dragster look?

clio 172 cup
I'm running 15 inch wheels and the rear of my car is completly stripped so the back sits higher than the front with a nice gap between the rear arches and wheels so I was thinking higher profile tyres would fill the arches better at the back.

Lionel Richie
a car with ABS - NO it'll send the traction control and ABS mental

a car with no ABS - fine, i wouldn't try it though!