ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver questions - Edde, Fred, ditz etc

Chav Rocket
same story as my interior thread lol

ok for some reason the rad fan is wired up to the ignition...god knows why...but it is! how should it be wired up? keen to get that corrected.

ok now i have driven alot of modern cars but never an old reasonably powered car and i dont know if the sound is correct...its like a warbling? i sound like a idiot now lol. also when i put my foot down i can hear a hissing sound..is this the induction kit? i hate it!

driving it back today the water temp was very cold it was on the 2 or 3rd notch i think..surely that aint right?

tbh if there is anyone in the croydon/surrey area willing to help me out a bit id really appreciate it!
ok thanks for the advide in advance

Jonni

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
on older valvers there is a brown sensor on the stat housing, (or its on the rad)

thats the switch for the rad, its battery direct, so even if the ign is off it will still run.

dissconnect switch and see if it still works.. if it doesnt odds are its the switch. if not then someone has played or you have a stuck relay.

the hissing noise is normal for those cars (esspecially if you have a cone filter)

the idle motor makes a hell of a racket when there is no airbox and the throttle body does make a hell of a whisting noise.

if you replace the filter with an airobx and duct some external air to it that will be fine.

coolant temp... sounds low.... replace the stat with an 88 degree one.

Andy
GDI

Chav Rocket
thanks so much. i was just googling and coming to post and ask about changing the stat. ill get one today..order list is a big un lol

f**ked ph1 172
^ yes. I've got a standard airbox if you need one.

the noise your talking about is a characteristic of the valvers(when you put you boot down.).

the fan switch is down the drivers side of the rad about halfway up in at a 45degree angle.

Chav Rocket
ok i took out the stat in and it say 89 on it...the one i was given by GSF was physically too small though so ill have to get another one on monday. should there be a gasket or something between the housing and the block? thanks

Chav Rocket
hmm dad might be too busy to help me... who is near to surrey that is recommended for servicing? taaaaa!
J

ValverInBits
same story as my interior thread lol

ok for some reason the rad fan is wired up to the ignition...god knows why...but it is! how should it be wired up? keen to get that corrected. rad fan should be allowed to continue without the ignition on.

ok now i have driven alot of modern cars but never an old reasonably powered car and i dont know if the sound is correct...its like a warbling? i sound like a idiot now lol. also when i put my foot down i can hear a hissing sound..is this the induction kit? i hate it!
They all sound like this with a cone filter on. I bloody love it:eek:

driving it back today the water temp was very cold it was on the 2 or 3rd notch i think..surely that aint right? Thermostat gone. Really really common, dead cheap and 15mins. Make sure you buy a part with a gasket and you'll need torx keys to get the stat housing off the side of the head.

tbh if there is anyone in the croydon/surrey area willing to help me out a bit id really appreciate it!
ok thanks for the advide in advance

Jonni

Chav Rocket

thanks mark one.. yeah i started the stat then realised i was given the wrong one. i know the fan should be able to stay running but it was running as soon as i turned the key...the fan is linked to the stat reading too low i think..they hard wired it to the battery as i guess it was never kicking in lol so i had to put it back as it should be!

ValverInBits
The themostat is purely a mechanical device, no electronics there. It just opens and sends fluid to the rad if the engine needs cooling.

Your fan issues. Firstly, try unplugging the rad coolant temp sensor. see if it turns the fan off. If it does, theres your problem, replace that.
more likely to be a component fault than a wiring fault

Chav Rocket
i know that...if hot water isnt being circulated by the rad surely the sensor on the rad would never reach a temperature to switch the fan on?

the fan was bodged in with house flex so it was wired incorrectly. i re-wired it the other night. ill get another stat and then i will see if the fan works as it should..if it doesnt then i will buy a new sensor on the rad.

ill let you know how it goes.