ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VIC Test

My car has a VIC marker on it just now. Does anyone know what will happen after the VIC test is abolished next month? Will I still need to have it removed or will it come off automatically?

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Does sound like the system is a f**king mess though:

The cost to the taxpayer has been staggering. During the past 10 years there has been 717,000 vehicle identity checks made and has resulted in only 38, YES 38 positive results and that some of these were already known. The real cost of the scheme was probably in excess of £125m. That’s over £3 million for each vehicle detected.

Since 2003 there have been over 3.2 million VIC categorised vehicles but only 717,000 actually checked, so where are the rest? No one seems to know, not even the DVLA who we would expect to have the information.

For anyone else wondering, I just phoned the DVLA and was able to tax my car and they said I don't need to do a vic check and that my log book would automatically be sent out after the 1st of October

2014 Clio 200t edc
Eh? Wasn't this test brought in to stop 'cut and shuts' amongst other things? I guess those are going to rocket too now!!
God, i am thick when it comes to buying cars, but I've got to be even less thick from now on.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The whole system is craps.

My car had an mot then a month later got written off. I purchased the car back and got a garage to repair it.

As it was a write off I had to get a vic check to make such it wasn't a cut and shut job. At no point did the car have to have a new mot to make sure it was Road worthy. So back on the road with an mot for a car that wasn't a write off.

Who checks the quality of the repair?

The vic check is exactly what it says it is, 'Vehicle Identity Check' its stops people stealing a car and ringing it with their logbook, no logbook - no ringing.