ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Waxing / sealant

I'm new to this so please don't laugh if this is a daft Q...

What should be applied first - wax or sealant?

I've been using NXT wax on the car for the past year or so but am going shopping for new stuff tomorrow morning. I'm looking at the Chemical Guys stuff - XXX Hardcore wax and Factory Sealant. I presumed that you'd put the sealant over the top of the wax to "seal" it, but I'm sure I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it's supposed to be the other way around, i.e. sealant then wax.

Could anyone confirm the correct order for applying?

Ta
Ally

106 GTi
Sealant first then wax.

Ideally you should leave 12-24 hours between each to allow maximum durabillity.

Ah cheers Rich. I think it was in one of the guides over on DW that I read it, thought it best to check though.

Another Q: I've not waxed the Clio since the end of March. I presume I'd be best to clay the car (to remove any traces of NXT) before starting off with the sealant, then finishing it with wax?

(although I've got some scratches to get filled/sanded/polished before I do anything...)

106 GTi
Clays are much of a muchness really - all made by the same company so I have read. As long as you stick to the consumer ones and dont end up with one of the bodyshop agressive overspray ones, you can't go wrong. I go with whatever I can get hold of, the Megs Quik Clay works, or the Serious Performance own brand stuff is a good bet.

Sounds like its well worth claying and then polishing before you seal and wax.

Thanks again Rich.

It's been Megs Quik Clay I've been using so far, pretty happy with it. Just need to sort some scratches on the roof where me roofbars attach, plus find something to protect the roof with in future before I start over again with the claying/polishing/sealing/waxing.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
The Factory sealant is fantastic, I've been selling this for a while now. Not a clio, but here is one application after a quick wash on my mums Hyundai Coupe. The Der Wunder Applicators are fabtastic for applying it.

Then you can layer the XXX over the top for that little extra depth. Both grat products.

DSCF1632.jpg

Cheers Tim
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
'cliosport' 5% dicount

106 GTi
I agree - Looks good, what's the differnce between the Chemical Guys - Factory Sealant and the Chemical Guys - M-Seal?

Again I was going to order one, and found the other but they both sound alike just as with the QD's?

Mito Sportiva 135
I've been using the M Sealant and been very happy with the results both for looks and durability

Rich said:
I agree - Looks good, what's the differnce between the Chemical Guys - Factory Sealant and the Chemical Guys - M-Seal?

Again I was going to order one, and found the other but they both sound alike just as with the QD's?
My preference is towards the M seal as you can layer it and its also easier to apply and remove
The factory sealant doesnt have any benefit to layering and is slightly harder to remove
Whichever one you choose i can supply a sample free of charge of the other one
Both are £10.95 before 10% cliosport discount:cool:

106 GTi
Alan rates the M seal on Black Gold, sounds like that is the one for me reading the above.

i have used both types on a black gold clio and found the factory sealant harder to remove ,the m seal can be layered and left on for as long as you like and it still comes off very easy
The m seal gets my vote

Fiat Coupe 20vt
I find them the opposite, used them on loads of cars now and the Factory seal is definately the easier of the two for application and removal, there is absolutely no question. Both look very similar though on application and it's hard to split them on pure looks. We've aplied them to two cars, one with M-Seal, one Factory both on the same day so we are going to see how they get on in terms of durability. I have a feeling the M-Seal may be more so due to it being harder to remove, but we will see in a few weeks.

I hate to say it also but Factory Seal also layers really really well like M-Seal, thats how it was designed. Dare I say it even better, as it contains no silicones or waxes.

'Engineered to bond with surfaces not air FS is formulated to recat on contact, delivering a near instant cure time, reducing surface distortion and improved bonding ability to the paint surface as well as additional layers of the product'

My coupe had some minor micromarring from being machine polished in a hurry. After 3 layers, simply wiped on and buffed off after about a minute (in the sun as well) the nano tech FS definately filled these minor imperfections abd left a really smooth silky surface. I then went over with the Speed Wipe (I love this product) and the surface was so slick.

In terms of slickness I would put it up with Four Star Ultimate Paint protection, it's that good.

Cheers Tim

Last edited:
I think it depends on the individuals preference ,i have detailed 2 black gold clios ,one with the m seal and one with the factory sealant,the difference in the two from these pictures is hard to distinguish ,both recieved 2 coats but there was no noticeable difference form the factory selant being layered.The factory sealant was also slightly more difficult to remove and not as easy as the m seal.Both were then topped with xxx hardcore paste wax
Alans clio
Picture509.jpg

Mini andys clio
cliocup031.jpg

Its pretty difficult to see from the pics which has the best finish but after speaking with alan he found the durability very good on his clio .
My overall preference is the m seal ,i just find it easier to use

Just to say thanks to Dave (R9DCG) for the advice yesterday morning mate! Got stuck into my wheels with the blue cleaner - had some seriously dirty wheels and they've come up like new (although I had to use a lot of scrubbing, they hadn't been cleaned behind the spokes for over a year). My car is gleaming and I don't want to take it out of the car lol, it's raining :eek:

I'll speak to Alan when he's back before I use the sealant and XXX though.

got my M seal and XXX this morning Dave, thanks alot.. going to have a bash 2moro or saturday to see how it goes! :)

106 GTi
:( My package has got smashed up by the courier, but top customer service from Carwashnwax - had had an email last night saying it had been returned to them and is being resent out and should be here by Friday.

^^ that sucks, just hoping i get good weather for cleaning the car! on a positive note though, carwashnwax have pretty quick delivery times, so should be with you in no time :D

I'm holding off until I get access to a PC (any offers, Central Scotland area?) before I use my M seal and XXX. Plus I've got a few scratches to get sorted out first.

Pah, rain as always, but that's what a garage is for ;)

106 GTi
Get's even better courier arrives and realises the box is not on the truck and leaves. That has put and end to me geting the products today then!

106 GTi
Seems like everyone else has good luck with the couriers - I have had trouble with both orders now :(

al

ST on the way...
Couries we're spot on with my lot from him yesterday (can't wait to try the Maxi Suds :D)

106 GTi
Just upacked it all, well packaged as ever, cheers for the samples David, at least the couriers came back in the end.

Tried out the Mseal stuff today, and its was so easy on and off, and seemed to leave a reasonable shine... then put on a thin coat of the XXX and it was a lot harder to take off than the M seal, but has left it looking awesome! very pleased

106 GTi
I have the Mseal and sample of factory seal now, may well give them ago sometime this weekend if I get time.