ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What happened to my dCI?!

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
Something very strange happened to me on the way home last night. I was on some NSL back roads varying between 40 and 60 mph when all of a sudden the engine seemed to quieten up and the accelerator didn't seem to be responding. I was in 4th gear at the time and so slowed down to try some other gears. It was not responsive in any gear, including 1st. By that I mean I could accelerate, but on an even more glacial level than usual! I mean it was REALLY slow, took a long time to reach 2,000rpm where it would sit for a while before attempting to climb to 3,000rpm. At one point my speed was dropping on a particularly steep hill so much that I wasn't sure if I could make it to the top!

I found the best way to limp it home was to feather the throttle; that way I made much better progress through the gears and was able to not hold the road up too much. If I tried a bit more pressure on the accelerator, I got a worse response; after 2,000rpm the car would make a nasty rattly noise and refused to rev, so I'd have to back down to lightly feathering it again. Too much fuel? As it was night I couldn't make out whether it was smoking excessively or not.

One of the strangest things though was the fact that nothing unusual lit up on the dash; it was like the ECU didn't have a clue that something wasn't right. Usually it lights up like a Christmas tree at the slightest hint of a problem. Stranger still, I fire it up this morning and it's back to how it always was! I didn't hammer it for obvious reasons, but it was perfectly willing to rev on the road, climb hills etc.

Any ideas what the hell happened last night? The temperature gauge showed 4 bars as it always does. One thing I should mention although it's probably nothing to do with it and completely coincidental; the last few days I've been getting a strange throbbing and grating sound (doesn't sound healthy) that seems to come from the rear end when the car pulls away at low revs. By low, I mean idle revs as in just releasing the clutch and letting the torque do the work; as soon as any revs are applied it disappears. Just thought I'd mention it.

Any input would be appreciated. Hope this doesn't happen again.

t3 corolla 116bhp
turbo gone? unusual not to have fault lights coming up tho. clogged fuel filter? blocked injector, accelerator potentiometer maybe? i'm sure someone more technical will be on sonn to offer their opinion :)

54 Clio Van w/Sports Kit
Thanks for the suggestions.

It certainly does seem to point to the turbo in some way. Am I right thinking that might explain what seemed like over-fuelling when I put my foot down?

I find it so weird that no warning lights came on though, surely something should have been reported if the turbo wasn't functioning correctly? Maybe a sensor has gone?

What's really weird is the fact that everything seems absolutely fine now; three days driving and counting with no issues :S