ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats quicker - RAID / access time gurus?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Running two 500g samsung f1 spinpoitn drives in RAID 0 (on an abit p35 pro XE mobo)

- Capacity: 500GB
- Cache: 16MB
- Interface: SATA-II
- Spin Speed: 7200RPM
- Seek Time: 8.9ms

OR

x1 G Skill SSD

Capacity: 64GB
- Read: Up to 230MB/sec
- Write: Up to 135MB/sec

any way of finding out??

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
How about 2 SSD's in Raid 0? :) I hate the idea of Raid 0 with general HDD's though, ive had so many drives randomly die over the years I wouldnt trust it at all.

I want an OCZ Vertex in my life, those things are proper quick.

dk

911 GTS Cab
ssd's are fast at reading but for writing i think the raided hdd's might still have it

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
good knowledge dk, atm the gskill represent one of the best value ssds around for the speeds that they produce. i'd love two ssd's in raid 0 but i don't have room as i'd use the other slot for a 1.5tb drive anyway.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Depends what you want to do with it - as far as writes are concerned whilst they have SATA HDDs just about level pegged, it's bad for them. Myself, I'm waiting for them to cross 500MB/sec next year.

Better than yours. C*nt.
why is it 'bad for them' what does that mean? bad for what?

Only get a limited number of writes to each 'sector' before it is rendered useless - unless that's been changed of late but I thought that technology was a way away.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
most of them have...

1.5 million hour mean time before failure (MTBF) and include an international 2 year warranty.

won't that help?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
SSD's for boot partition and games, SATA disks for storage tbh

Yus! Just keep your page file off the SSD, ive read its actually best to turn off your page file when using an SSD as a primary boot drive.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Yus! Just keep your page file off the SSD, ive read its actually best to turn off your page file when using an SSD as a primary boot drive.

got any links of this please matE? i'm doing the install in a couple of days.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Only get a limited number of writes to each 'sector' before it is rendered useless - unless that's been changed of late but I thought that technology was a way away.
Yes it has changed, the ones they put in servers have anyway, they employ a technology to write to a different sector ever time, even if its the same piece of info it will go to a different location so as to get around this problem.

But they are still best used for pure reads and disk for writes.

You can get SSD cards in HP EVA sans now, think i mentioned this before, they are around £20k for 73gb list! and you need 6 minimum i think.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
why's that?

is it due to the write speeds involved?

From what I remember about what I read, it was due to the page file constantly writing data to the SSD thus decreasing the bandwidth/life of it but dont quote me on that as I saw it a few months ago, defo something worth looking into though.

got any links of this please matE? i'm doing the install in a couple of days.

Fraid not, its in my mag I read.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Yes it has changed, the ones they put in servers have anyway, they employ a technology to write to a different sector ever time, even if its the same piece of info it will go to a different location so as to get around this problem.

But they are still best used for pure reads and disk for writes.

You can get SSD cards in HP EVA sans now, think i mentioned this before, they are around £20k for 73gb list! and you need 6 minimum i think.

It's not changed then, it's 'avoided' as it stops it writing to the same sector. As good as it is, a HDD can go on forever and a day if you're lucky, as has been demonstrated. In my lifetime, I've killed an SD card through use as it just couldn't write or read - the whole lot was corrupt.

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's not changed then, it's 'avoided' as it stops it writing to the same sector. As good as it is, a HDD can go on forever and a day if you're lucky, as has been demonstrated. In my lifetime, I've killed an SD card through use as it just couldn't write or read - the whole lot was corrupt.
you've killed an sd card from use, really, i don't think thats possible really without it being used in a server and being constantly bashed, even then they have a life of tens of years.

you sure it didn't just corrupt and then die, as in anything can fail, doesn't mean the same card couldn't have been written to twice the number of times.

The issue comes when you write the same data to the same sectors, thats why they randomise it, the ssd disks have a life of many years nows, the issue is more around write speed than anything else.

dk

911 GTS Cab
talking of disks though, i have had the worse possible day today with an install for a customer.

Had an MSA2000 which I was upgrading by added a second controller and a second disk shelf.

Downed it all, added the hardware and then turned it back on and 3 disks came up failed in the existing vdisk containing all their vm's for the esx.

It looks like the metadata is mashed, but with 3 drives down the vdisk is useless. I have a call open with HP but it doesn't look hopeful as if i reset the metadata i need to re-add them to the vdisk but by doing that it will re-spread the data on the ones that are working over it at thus the data which was on it will be lost.

Such a fecking pain in the arse, nothing i have done wrong, but their backups are a bit of a mess too. The only saving grace is that its a school and they have just broken up so we have a bit of time to get it back up and working but its going to be such a hassle, a faily easy job which has turned into an engineers worst nightmare!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Woops! I've had entire weeks like that :(

500 grands worth of NetApp shizzle in, 90% of disks failed within an hour, were all genuine faults too (NetApp took the lot back and tested all of them)

Never heard of it happening to anyone else though :p

dk

911 GTS Cab
yeah a 2012fc, i hate them, had another customer ring me sunday to say both controllers had failed.........

MSA1000 was such a good product, i really wish hp hadn't rushed and bought the product from dothill, it really is flakey.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Got (had? Find out today whether I'm working my notice or whether they're going to prove every reason why I'm leaving) 4 MSA1000s floating around - one of which had 4 shelves full of 300GB U320 disks, attached to two DL380 G5s. Which were never, ever used since turning them on.

Hemorrhage money much?

dk

911 GTS Cab
not heard of a trim function personally.

p.s. managed to get all the data back, f**king result!

dk

911 GTS Cab
oh i do apologise for not knowing every new feature not even out on the market yet;)

Its a windows 7 thing, thats the only os to take advantage of it and i've not done any windows 7 stuff, must admit, i only deal with servers.........

doesn't change your original question and my answer though;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
haha ok cool. well windows 7 ultimate on ssd then with disks for storage, cheers!