ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is faster??

clio 172 cup
Theres a tidy ax on piston heads at the mo, think it'd weigh about 600kg so reckon it'd be faster than my cup and cheaper to run.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Straight line, my money would be on the AX up to about 100-120... They weigh 1/10th of f**k all anyway - if it's been stripped and given 120+bhp... And it'll have mentally short gear ratios.

Dan

clio 172 cup
Its the white one that was in french car mag last month, has had a lot of work and seems like it'd be a lot of fun for fck all money.

clio 172 cup
Sorry dunno how to add a link, its on the piston heads website in the classified section. Im well tempted to buy it and sell my cup. Cant see a good reason why not? A proper stripped out road racer for a lot less money.

clio 200 F4Rt
seeing as a Saxo VTS aint far off the pace of a 172, a stripped out AX with VTS engine would lay it to waste everytime.

Tho i know what i would rather be in during a crash! lol

RB 182 Cup
i well like that :D tbh i would sell my sport for one until i could afford something really cool :D

clio 172 cup
seeing as a Saxo VTS aint far off the pace of a 172, a stripped out AX with VTS engine would lay it to waste everytime.

Dont really plan on crashing it lol.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I'd want two seats and a basic 2 speaker radio in it if it was my only car hehe :)

Dan

Burgandy 174 sport t
If that had a decent filter and manifold etc it wuld rape a cup imo.

As it is I would say its still capable!

clio 172 cup
I love my cup but have a need for speed. Havent got enough money to through at worthwile engine mods so thought somthing lighter could be the way forward for cheap speed.

MCS R56
Would you not be better stripping the Cup? Doesn't cost much and you won't need to drive a 90's Fine Fare 'Oops' wagon.

You don't even know if the AX will be quicker. If it is, it will not be by much. Cup gets my vote.

RB 182 Cup
Would you not be better stripping the Cup? Doesn't cost much and you won't need to drive a 90's Fine Fare 'Oops' wagon.

You don't even know if the AX will be quicker. If it is, it will not be by much. Cup gets my vote.

a saxo vts with the same mods will be about the same as a cup, a stripped out ax with a vts engine and those mods would ruin a cup

R53 Cooper S

a saxo vts with the same mods will be about the same as a cup, a stripped out ax with a vts engine and those mods would ruin a cup

would it handle as well as a cup tho?

Sorry dunno how to add a link, its on the piston heads website in the classified section. Im well tempted to buy it and sell my cup. Cant see a good reason why not? A proper stripped out road racer for a lot less money.

Will be a right off in any accident, and anything mildly serious involving the front end and its good bye legs. I dont even want to think about what would happen if you rolled it!

Tangoed Works
i think that is absolutely mint. if it wasnt so far i way id pay 1500 for that allday long. those engines are reliable and there is nothing to go wrong inside it as there is nothing there!!

M2 Competition

Aye, and going round corners too...

172 ph1
Owned an AX GT 10+ years ago. They are very light, lighter than an Elise, but the GTI was a little heavier.

Loads of body roll, no brakes and understeer...

Made out of recycled kitkat wrappers though, you will die in a crash!

What are these conversions like though, they're usually pretty unfinished to say the least.

saxo VTS, Leon Cupra
in honesty on a track i would say that AX would beat a cup nine times out of ten (drivers not withstanding)... the cage is gonna help the handing shed loads, for that money i don't think you can go wrong!

Saxo VTS
The AX VTS would give a 172 Cup a massive run for it's money and be faster in some situations.

A Saxo VTS with breather mods would give a 172 Cup a hard time as it is.

clio 172 cup
So thats settled than. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and faster. No where for the missis to sit. All looks like positives to me, who wants my cup?

cock mobile.
The problem with roads is they aren't all straight and there's other cars on them.

I'd sh1t myself in that AX every time I had to turn a corner and every time another car was within 1/2 mile of me.

Iceberg 172
^^^ is the most sensible answer.

The AX sounds like it was be a blast...... for the first 2 weeks. After that, you'd be longing for some comfort and a stereo........ and some new fillings.