ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Polarising filter?

Any help from the camera gurus? After a polarising (sp) filter for a D40x.. Which ones best? where should i get it?

Cheers

Rally bus
Kenko Pro 1 filters are the same as Hoya if you want to get them from HK.

Make sure you get one appropriate to the lens you are using as they come in different sizes.

"Navy" N17 TWO
What's the difference between the normal Hoya CPL filter and the Hoya Pro-1's? :S

I've spotted some Pro-1 filters on Ebay at good prices (Hong Kong stock)

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
What conditions would you use a polarising filter anyway, i was playing in bright sun shine yesterday and my skylight filter far out shined my polariser filter.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've had some disappointing results with my polariser, lately. Think they work best with clear blue skys and pointing away from the sun.

Has anyone ordered the Pro1 Hoya filters off a HK ebay trader?

They're about half the price of here but £30+ is still a lot to lose if they're fakes...

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Glad its not just me then, although saying that was on the leeds and liverpool cannal last week and it was cloudy all day and it worked fine, used it yesterday in bright sun shine and it wouldnt focus on things properley and and was hazy, ill keep playing anyway

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
With Polariser
DSC_3124.gif

With Skylight
DSC_3131.gif

With Polariser
DSC_3126.gif

With Skylight
DSC_3133.gif

With Polariser
DSC_3149.gif

With Skylight
DSC_3172.gif

I use the Green Box Hoya ones, got a 77mm and 52mm and they work really well, iirc they didn't cost much, particuarly considering I needed a 77mm one.

What conditions would you use a polarising filter anyway, i was playing in bright sun shine yesterday and my skylight filter far out shined my polariser filter.

On the sea to cut out the reflections:
184278325_fLH5F-L.jpg

On the sky to darken it up (this shot would have been impossible without one):
184276600_8cWxP-L.jpg

and works wonders for static car shots as well to cut out the glass reflections:
221159116-L.jpg

This is worth a look:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=277934&highlight=circular

Only thing is they don't just work like you might expect, particuarly with the sky, you need to be at a 90 degree angle from the sun to get the best effect.

Last edited:
I'm surprised you don't use super-dooper £££ filters!

Good to know the green ones are good though - I may well go with those then, rather than splashing the cash on the Pro1 versions... :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I just got a Hoya UV Pro-1 and a Hoya CPL Pro-1 for my Sigma 10-20mm

Will I need a Skylight filter for the scenery shots? - planning on trying it out on holidays next week :)

I'm surprised you don't use super-dooper £££ filters!

Good to know the green ones are good though - I may well go with those then, rather than splashing the cash on the Pro1 versions... :)

I'm enjoying a hobby I can't afford, got to make sacrifices along the way :) Pretty sure I got the 52 and 77 for about £30 in total.

Trust me if I could have found second-hand ones I would have bought them instead. Sure if I had a D3 it would be silly to stick a cheap bit of glass in front of it, but realisticially I'm using a camera that cost me £100, I'm not going to spend that amount again on a filter.

The 10-20 with a Polarizer is great fun...good luck ;)

At 10mm you've got to find the exact angle for the sky not to go really weird, polarizers simply can't handle such a wide field of view...

239878291-L.jpg

20mm is fine though, you shouldn't have any problems there.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Seen that ^ yesterday when searching for tips on filters lol

Would I benefit more from the Skylight filters for shots like that?

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
Gaz - are they filters from the same company and the same range?

They were both about £3 of ebay so there not going to be the best in the world i guess, the polariser is a SAKAR andthe skylight is a KOOD and ive just order a set of 24 Camray filters

The 10-20 with a Polarizer is great fun...good luck ;)

At 10mm you've got to find the exact angle for the sky not to go really weird, polarizers simply can't handle such a wide field of view...

239878291-L.jpg

20mm is fine though, you shouldn't have any problems there.
Would a linear polarising filter work better in that situation? Just out of interest lol

I thought you had a ££££ camera though? Or am I confusing you with someone else?! :S Either way, your work goes to show that you don't need all the gear if you actually have some skills :cool:

I thought you had a ££££ camera though? Or am I confusing you with someone else?! :S

Not me, I have a second-hand Nikon D50 (£100), I do have two very nice lenses (Nikon 80-200mm and Nikon 300mm) but they were both also second hand and well under half price (about £400 each)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Got my Hoya filters now :)

Pro-1 CPL
Pro-1 UV
"Green Series" Skylight filter for each lens (Tamron 18-250 and Sigma 10-20mm)

Now to go and make use of it all - lots of practice (trial & error) ahead of me! :cool:

Megane RS 275 Trophy
My 2 CPL filters arrived today from www.7dayshop.com try them out for filters nice and cheap.

I'm still waiting for 2 to come in stock yet but look below at the price

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]1 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]7dayshop.com Lens Filter - Circular Polariser - 67mm [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]2008-07-01 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Dispatched [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]yes [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]£4.69 [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]1 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]7dayshop.com Lens Filter - Circular Polariser - 77mm [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]2008-07-01 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Dispatched [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]yes [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]£5.49 [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]1 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]7dayshop.com Lens Filter - UV Multi Coated Professional Quality - 67mm [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]backorder [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]£7.49 [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]1 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]7dayshop.com Lens Filter - UV Multi Coated Professional Quality - 77mm [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]backorder [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]£8.99 [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]1 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card - 4GB - Class 6 - Kingston [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]2008-07-01 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]Dispatched [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]yes [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]0000-00-00 [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]£9.99 [/FONT]

LY 182 FF CUPPED

it would do...as Polarisers are designed to cut out specular reflection (SHINE)