ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter fettling

Due to repeated clutch failure (discussed elsewhere) I now have the engine out of the car, and under cover in my excuse for a garage.
It's unlikely to see the track until next season.

The main upgrade will be the cure for the clutch issue: Sachs clutch from PMS, and a new Gripper 4.53 final drive from @NorthloopCup

While the engine is out I will obviously give everything a good clean up, both engine and bay.

But what else might be worth doing, not big budget stuff, but smaller worthwhile mods.

My thoughts:

My exhaust system is a bit of a DIY mess, homemade de-cat etc.
I'd like a new manifold, I'd love the PMS one but would have sell a kidney, but Gravity sell a 4-2-1 that looks ok. Any thoughts on this.

Was thinking of ditching the ABS, but from threads on here that looks like a can of worms with the OEM ECU, and it never really troubles me on track. The weight saving is hardly worth it, but any thoughts to the contrary would be welcome.

Polishing and port matching the intake manifold.
This does interest me. To the extent that I've e-mailed a local vapour blasting company for a price for polishing the internals I can't reach.
I then intend to very carefully mtach up the ports with the ridiculous amount of dremmel grinding and polishing accessories I seem to have collected.
How worthwhile is this really?
From my career in HVAC I know gasflow is easily disrupted by small surface irregularites that liquidflow wouldn't notice, but we are really only interested in throttle response, bhp and torks. If all that work doesn't make a difference then I won't bother!

In line with the above the intake ports on the cylinder head look like sand washed up the beach, look at all those ripples. Is it worth smoothing them out?
20201010_093035.jpg

20201010_093044.jpg

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Good luck with it BanHama- see you Lydden next year

Thats if i get my gearbox, which has disintegrated, changed or refurbed