ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your opinions please....

....on a mk1 172 im looking at buying.

I went to look at one tonight, its a 00 X plate, 1 owner with 35k on the clock. The body work is mint and it has FRSH including new rear box and both rear wheel bearings replaced. The history ties up with the milage (8k a year) and it has T&T until Nov. Oh....and 4 new tyres.

Now the bad points.

-The 2 front seats have slight scuff marks on th bolsters, is this normal for a car withthis milage? also the silver door pulls are scuffed as is the steering wheel......this seems excesive wear for the milage to me.

- The bloke said that it had a ding on the drivers door and that it has been repaired. I think it has had a new door skin as the window seal rubber is out of shape where it was re-used and not replaced witha new item.

- The guy said that when he was jet washing the slam panel (the bit that the bonnet latches into) that the stickers came off. What stickers is he refering to? is this normal? The thing that worries me is that the front bumper is slightly out of line under the RHS headlamp.....could it of had a shunt? :confused:

- All alloys are kerbed.

- The cambelt hasnt been done and he wont get it done.

He wants £5500.00 no offers.......is it worth it??? Im really suspicious about the front bumper and door.....although it does have a few stone marks!!!!

Help....its the first one i have looked at so im not quite sure.

I havnt HPId it yet but will before parting with any cash.

Sorry for going on but i dont want to buy a shed and you guys/gals know your stuff :D

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by NinjaAd on 11 July 2005
The guy said that when he was jet washing the slam panel (the bit that the bonnet latches into) that the stickers came off.  What stickers is he refering to?

Strange that anyone would mention that unless asked tbh, If i have any doubt about a car its because something isnt right, walk away and look for others.

Lots of stickers on my slam panel, I guess MK1 172s are alike?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/r-jay-clio/P3010038.jpg

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

the stickers do fall off easily, but there should be no need to steam clean a 5 yr old 35k engine bay, unless its to cover up an oil leak!

Cheers people for your thoughts. That was my gut feeling but wanted to see if i was was being too cautious.

Are you sure you are not buying my car? LOL

Seats are slightly worn - leather restorer will fix.

Steering wheel - mine was worn at 26k doubt you will find one that isnt worn at all.

My bumper has never fitted properly since the numpty renault tech snapped the clip off one of the headlights while fitting an alternator/cambelt.

Elf stickers are still there but could easily come off with a pressure washer.

Sounds like an average Mk1 172 to me :confused:

Ex Ph-Quick

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 12 July 2005

Steering wheel - mine was worn at 26k doubt you will find one that isnt worn at all.

My bumper has never fitted properly since the numpty renault tech snapped the clip off one of the headlights while fitting an alternator/cambelt.

Sounds like an average Mk1 172 to me
Mine but its not for sale im afriad. they are out there

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 12 July 2005

Sounds like an average Mk1 172 to me :confused:
These are the things that i dont know about having not owned a 172 before and being the first one i have looked at i have nothing to compare it to......hence all the questions ;)

Cup 172

If you have doubts now, you will have loads more when you buy it.

Plus, if you noticed things when looking round it, the first time you give it a proper clean, youll find more things...

Walk away!

Ziel Nurburgring

Search around, loads of cheap Mk1 & 2 172s. Sounded like a right dog, curbed all 4 wheels, thats just fcukin careless and you have to wonder what else he didnt take car of.