ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£200 for a lens, what would you buy?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Hello,

Santa's offered to bring me a lens for xmas!

As above, what lens do people suggest for around 200 jellybeans. I've already got a 50mm. It's for a canon 400d.

Cheers

Can that budget be stretched?

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or Sigma 50-150mm f2.8

Both are probably nearer 300.. That's second hand for the Sigma too.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not really....

Whats it for. I want something to replace the kit lens, I.e Moderate zoom, able to take close up's...Decent for cars, but then also for landscapes...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Pfft... Not much in that price range will do what you want :dapprove:

All round lens + cheap = not very good quality photos, as it has to do everything "ok" rather than one or two things well, IYSWIM.

Ask for an IOU/cash and stump up a bit more for something worthwhile :cool:

2nd hand 15-85 USM will just about do what you want, but they're £500+ new..

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat5.htmlhttp://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not sure i like the idea of 2nd hand len's?? Would prefer new...

Ok, rephase the post, what would be a decent replacement for the kit lens...Keep it reasonable on price and new please.

Inferno 182 CUP
That's not a kit lense Danny .. some of them have those lenses as a 2nd one for zoom but it's no good for anything closer than about 50 feet haha !

Damn good bit of glass for the price tho !

it does come in some kits mate? ive seen it i nearly bought it as its cheap

Cupra
£200 wont buy you a replacement kit lens that does anything miles better than what you already have. An ultra wide angle is probably the best shout so far for what you want to use it for and is worth paying a touch more for.

Otherwise, external flash?

Edit to add that the 18-135 is a good option. It offers a bit more reach than the kit lens too.

2014 Focus Titanium
55-250 IS without a doubt!

Mine got me pics like this:

2913677055_8453ef1de0.jpg

5093550824_fb6877c513.jpg

So sharp for the money, in fact it's sharper than my £300 Sigma 18-50 2.8. Also, it has the 4th version of Canon's IS which is simply awesome! Hello sharp pics at 1/10 @ 250mm.

Last edited: