ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

03 MK2 Clio 1.5 Diesel Project

This is my Clio..

This is the only photo I have of it standard (This was taken a couple of days before I bought it, about 5 months ago)

1_zps801a3c50.jpg

Side view
2_zps1ac48bc1.jpg

After getting it serviced I set about modding it, starting with a new radio (Sony xplod cdx)

3_zps89c7f48e.jpg

I also sprayed the trim on the left matte black.

I bought some multi colored LED's and fitted them under the footwells (wireless remote to change colour).

I debadged the "Clio" badge.

Then I sprayed the front and back Renault badges black.

4_zps577628fc.jpg

5_zpsda89d804.jpg

Then I bought some Heko wind deflectors.

6_zpsf5b64c66.jpg

7_zpsc7688c8e.jpg

I then fitted some new door speakers (EDGE ED305 210 WATTS).
They came with tweeter speakers too but I haven't got around to taking the dash off to install them yet.

8_zpsd9a1dbb0.jpg

As turinis are fairly expensive I thought it would be cheaper to refurbish and respray the standard ones matte black.

9_zps5e9abbce.jpg

10_zpseaa7fc74.jpg

11_zps37ff4144.jpg

12_zps9308ca34.jpg

13_zps5ea129df.jpg

Most recently I stripped out the back seats as they are not needed cause I never have people in the back and it's just extra weight I don't need.

14_zps0445c7ae.jpg

These arrived yesterday and I will be fitting them on Tuesday.
(Apex 40mm lowering springs)

15_zps31c103c5.jpg

Also gave the engine bay a little clean today.

I'm in need of a new dipstick for my car as the first mechanic I used F****N broke it, so if anyone has one spare for my car let me know!

Anyway that's how the car stands atm, lot's more planned for next year!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, all opinions are welcome.

Nice example! plans are good so far :)

As for a dipstick check ebay or the for sale section on here, someone might be breaking a car so you could get one for some beer money ;)

Also are the new speakers any good? wouldnt mine upgrading mine but im not too hot on audio equipment haha

Thanks :) i tried pick up spares for one but they didn't have one :/

I'll try ebay otherwise ask around here thanks :p

Yea they are great anything is better than the standard ones mine were some £45 ones from halfords but they only charged £30 for some reason, im not complaining though ;)

It's fairly easy to install them I can do a little guide to wiring them if you like mate

Also are the new speakers any good? wouldnt mine upgrading mine but im not too hot on audio equipment haha

They are worth it if you listen to a lot of music in the car cause it's an overall better sound quality and they can go a lot louder (if that's what you want) than the standard ones without distorting. It was a good investment for me as I love my music :)

Meant to be £45 but they charged me £30 somehow, yea basically ill do a guide if you like, i don't have a crimper so i soldered them together and put some electrical tape around them to make sure they didnt come loose & to cover all the wire

Fair play. Yeah if you wanna do us a quick wiring guide that would be sweet, saves me abit of time haha. might pop down to halfords tomorrow and see what they've got. What diameter are they? You gonna install the tweeters in the holes in the top of the dash?

I'll try get one up tomorrow after work :) the door speakers are 5.25" (130mm) they fit perfect so no need to drill holes. Assuming all clios have the same door speakers, the guy in halfords let me take 1 of the speakers to my car to check it fitted so im sure if you ask they won't mind.

Yea thats where the standard tweeters go you have to take the whole dashboard off though to get to them so i'll save that for a rainy day.

Yeah just had a check for sizes, gonna see what ones they have in that size but ill probably end up getting those ones haha!

Cheers for the help though dude :)

They're really good especially with an aftermarket radio. I'll upload a guide for wiring tomorrow if I get the chance. Good luck mate :)

Had the Apex 40mm lowering springs fitted a few days ago and had the wheels aligned.

20131217_111612_zps49c0f152.jpg

20131217_112441_zpscc4fa6ce.jpg

20131217_144300_zps552c1303.jpg

(That's my mate in the car not me)
DSC_0012_zpsd97ffeed.jpg

DSC_0013_zps5a980789.jpg

Here's some more photos to show how low she is.

1_zpsa105512d.jpg

2_zps3935ebe0.jpg

Small update painted the drums red the other day, looks much better!

Brushed with a wire brush and cleaned with fast drying caliper cleaner.
20131222_115119_zpsc0d19f4a.jpg

First coat.
20131222_142920_zpse1ffb7e8.jpg

20131222_124352_zps9336fb23.jpg

Second coat.
20131222_142931_zps4f505f9d.jpg

Final result, sh*t photo as the wheels are so dirty but you get the idea.

20131222_172319_zps577dade6.jpg

Took a few photos of my grandfathers Jaguar XF while I was there.

20131222_151724_zps21ceddef.jpg

20131222_151739_zpsdc558d37.jpg

Anyway not sure where to go from here as I will only have the car another year or so. Don't want to be throwing all my money at it (rather save for something Japanese me thinks).

cLIO 1.2
you'l look back in a year or two and think why the f**k have i done this to my poor car

harsh but true

change it back to standard and lowered a little less.

Arctic 182FF
you'l look back in a year or two and think why the f**k have i done this to my poor car

harsh but true

change it back to standard and lowered a little less.

Strange comment since there haven't been any mods that would be controversial from what i can see.

OP seems to have the right idea, I'm personally not a fan of the red drums; I think they'd look far better in black because why would you want to advertise the fact you have drums? But apart from that it seems good.
My apologies if you've mentioned this earlier in the thread but if you haven't remapped it yet then I'd suggest doing that to be next on your mods list.

Titanium 182
mad
this is the best pic to show how low mine is:

fQ7HPAN.jpg

Looks abit higher than yours :dapprove:

you're right it does look a bit higher on yours, not sure whether diesels sit differently, when I lowered my old car on 40mm it looked lower than my mates which was on 50mm springs.

Titanium 182
Strange comment since there haven't been any mods that would be controversial from what i can see.

OP seems to have the right idea, I'm personally not a fan of the red drums; I think they'd look far better in black because why would you want to advertise the fact you have drums? But apart from that it seems good.
My apologies if you've mentioned this earlier in the thread but if you haven't remapped it yet then I'd suggest doing that to be next on your mods list.

How much does it usually cost to get a car remapped? And where would be the best place?

Yea i agree about showing that i have drums i hate having drums but im not bothered about the colour i just wanted to cover the horrible rust so im happy :)

Yes i have thought about a remap but im not sure cause the car has done so much mileage so I don't want to put too much strain on the engine.

you're right it does look a bit higher on yours, not sure whether diesels sit differently, when I lowered my old car on 40mm it looked lower than my mates which was on 50mm springs.

I think diesels do sit a little different, i had to get springs made for the dci version as the springs from a petrol clio would'nt be strong enough or something.

Titanium 182
I think diesels do sit a little different, i had to get springs made for the dci version as the springs from a petrol clio would'nt be strong enough or something.

Not too sure about the strength of them, got mine off a sport and they fit my old diesel pretty good.

Arctic 182FF
How much does it usually cost to get a car remapped? And where would be the best place?

I'm really no source of knowledge on the subject to be honest. When I bought my dci it had already been remapped, but i believe it'd be in the region of £200-£300 (don't quote me on that). However you wouldn't get much gains from a 1.2 petrol, I really don't think it'd be worth it.

Yea i agree about showing that i have drums i hate having drums but im not bothered about the colour i just wanted to cover the horrible rust so im happy :)

Yes i have thought about a remap but im not sure cause the car has done so much mileage so I don't want to put too much strain on the engine.

Fair enough, it's your car after all.

As I said just now, I have very limited knowledge on the subject but I believe dci's are quite remap friendly. My dci is on 140,000 miles, although the remap will have been done long before then I imagine.

Fair enough, it's your car after all.

As I said just now, I have very limited knowledge on the subject but I believe dci's are quite remap friendly. My dci is on 140,000 miles, although the remap will have been done long before then I imagine.

I'll have a look into it then :) my dci is on 157,000 miles.

Nice little start, not a fan of the red drums but each to their own! :)

Thanks :) yea a few people have said that, might spray them black in the future but im happy for now. Thinking about a stainless steel exhaust but im not sure :/ I love a bit of exhaust noise and the look of a nice shiny exhaust but diesel..

Many.
My DCi is on iirc 166k now, gets abused and is still mechanically fine.

With the exhaust, just get a decat made, and maybe cut the backbox off if you fancy it (see my thread for what I did as for tip etc), I need to get a vid of mine.

My DCi is on iirc 166k now, gets abused and is still mechanically fine.

With the exhaust, just get a decat made, and maybe cut the backbox off if you fancy it (see my thread for what I did as for tip etc), I need to get a vid of mine.

Thanks for the advice mate, id love to see a video if you make one!